Wednesday, January 19, 2011

40 4 40: 19 - WW - Ricky Gervais (This Should Be Good, No?)

Today we picked Ricky Gervais. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

1. “Why by a book when you can join a library.”
When was your last trip to a library?

Over the weekend, I went to the UTD Library (McDermott Library).  It's my new favorite one.  I frequent the library with my kids.  Highland Park has an impressive one, I must say. 


2. “People see me in the suit and they know I'm not fooling anyone, they know I'm rock and roll through and through.”
Does your attire properly represent you?

Hmmm -- this is a good question.  I like it!

Yes, my attire properly represents me.  If you know/see me, do you agree?  Feel free to offer feedback on why or why not.

3. “I'm from a little place called England ... We used to run the world before you.”
Do you feel the United States really runs the world?

Yes.

4. “No one grows up saying 'I hope I work in an office one day?' And that fascinated me. People from 16 to 65 are just thrown together and that is a tantalizing mix.”
When was the last time that you worked in an office like that?

I currently do.  Strangely, I didn't watch The Office until just recently.  I'll catch an episode here and there and am always entertained.  I would like to see more of the British version of it.  I don't think it'll stay afloat without Steve.

5. “Where there's a will-there's a relative!”
Do you have a will? If yes, have you ever changed it?

Yes, I have a will, and yes, it's been changed according to changes in family status (kids, more kids, etc.).


6. "When I see a toreador in a bullfight getting gored I think: `Good, you shouldn`t be in there`. What is the pleasure in seeing an animal speared to death? It`s the same with fox hunting. They`re just psychopaths.”
How do you feel about bull fighting and hunting?

Growing up along the U.S.-Mexico border, as well as being a meat-eating Texan who has family in the cattle business, you can already guess I'm 'meh' about this subject.  I'm not overly grossed out or offended by a bull dying in any fashion, or animals in general.  Animals serve a function and are here for a reason.  You and I might disagree as to what a "good" reasons is, but undeniably, they are meant for use of some sort.  Their purpose on Earth is service, not just to just exist.  Entertainment might not be a "good" purpose, but it's one nonetheless.

I don't see the appeal in the thrill of the hunt, either, but again, I am not opposed to it generally speaking.  If there are animals on that are Endangered, poached, or otherwise protected, I'm all for keeping them off limits.  I've never shot a gun or rifle, I've never been out in the wild preying on game, so I have a limited scope from which to speak.  I'm perfectly willing to try it all, though!

I have always thought bullfighting is elegant entertainment at best.  Learning what happens prior to the "fight", my appreciation has depreciated, yet I love to look at a well-dressed toreador (it's a double whammy for me: Latin man + man in uniform. Yum!).  There's something about the commanding pride, the dance, the art to it all that allures me.  At worst, if I were to strip that romaticism away, I wouldn't be entertained at all.  And since the bulls are physically compromised prior to entering the arena, there is a level of stupidity to the whole pomp and circumstance of it.  There's very little danger involved, so when the toreador gets prodded, it's just him being careless.

It's cute that Ricky is so compassionate, though.  It's a different side to his otherwise seemingly abraisive TV-persona affect. 

Random side note about Ricky Gervais/Awards Hosting:  I had the opportunity to watch him on the Piers Morgan Show the other night and was pleasantly surprised by him.  The bits of stuff on that recent award show he hosted I thought were pretty clever. I have no doubt Ricky would find a laugh or seven being the subject of similar roasting.

7. “Money gives me the creeps and mildly embarrasses me. I get paid too much anyway.”
Have you ever thought that you were over paid for a job?

I can't say I've ever thought this.  The thought I *have* had is, "wow, I can't believe I'm making this much money with no degree!". 

8. “I hate lateness. I hate people who are late. There is no excuse for turning up late for anything. I`ve never been late for anything in my life. I was actually born a week premature, because I wanted to be early for my own birth.”
Are you usually on time for things?

Oh gosh, no!  Ricky hates me already and he doesn't even know me!  I'm not a punctual person.  If I happen to be on time for something, it's sheer accident and/or grace!  Man's time is not MY time. Ha!

9. “I have plenty of pet hates. I can`t stand people scraping their plate or slurping their soup. I can`t stand waiting in lines. I hate people talking inanely about the Lord Of The Rings. I hate people whistling. But I`m not like this because I`m famous. I`ve always been a grumpy bastard.”
What are your “pet hates”?

Stupidity.  Shows like "Jackass" and some clips from "America's Funniest Videos" are pure ascinine and I can't stand that kind of behavior.  When technology or my car isn't working properly, I'm very impatient and intolerant.  All things pertaining to Trusts and Trust Agreements make me wonky and give me tiredhead.  Seriously they are too complicated.  People are too controlling after their own death! 

That's plenty....for now.  :)

10. “I don`t like all this stupid Gollum begat Wobblo and the Oompa Loompas and...Oh Jesus Christ! There was too much "Oh, God, here come the gloodloys..." Christ Almighty, what are they talking about!?”
Are you a fan of “Lord of the Rings”?

Uhm, no. 


Kthnxbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment