Wednesday, January 12, 2011

40 4 40 18: WW - Kurt Cobain

Today we picked Kurt Cobain. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

1. "A friend is nothing but a known enemy."
Have you ever had a “friend” that you discovered was really an enemy?

Yes.  Haven't we all?

2. "Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem."
What is the strongest drug (legal or otherwise) that you have taken?

Booze.  I haven't tried anything illegal.  I rarely drink anymore, especially publicly.

3. "I had a really good childhood up until I was nine, then a classic case of divorce really affected me."
Has a divorce (yours or your parents) really impacted your life?

When I first read this question, my first impulse was to say, "No.  My parents were never divorced."

As I thought further, I wonder if, indirectly, divorce HAS impacted my life.  My mom was married twice before she met my father.  She has three sons between her first two husbands, making the sons all my half-brothers (though I don't think of them specifically with that label; they are all my brothers.).  My father was married once before marrying my mom, but had no children from that first marriage.  (If you haven't figured it out yet, I am the only biological child~only daughter of my mom's four kids~baby of the family~between my mom and dad.)

Being as my parents were both divorced prior to meeting each other, there's some impact in that there's, in today's terms, a 'blended family'.  My two older brothers never lived with us; they were grown men by the time I was born.  I  have a brother who is three years older than I, and we grew up together in the same house-hold.

Without going into essay format, it's sufficient to acknowledge that the 'classic case of divorce' did affect me. 

4. "I really haven't had that exciting of a life. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life. So I pretty much like to make it up. I'd rather tell a story about somebody else."
What's the most exciting thing that you've ever done?

Flying in a Cessna was pretty kick-ass, as was taking a post-hurricane helicopter ride to an offshore rig in the Gulf of Mexico.  Seeing certain concerts (Duran Duran, U2, etc.) are always exciting, especially when I get to see them in venues and cities that are not my hometown.

Moving from El Paso to Dallas was pretty exciting, too.

Having kids?  Yep -- pretty cool ride.

I've had several exciting moments.  Truth is, anything can be exciting if you let it be. 

5. "I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude."
Is there a heavy metal band that you are a fan of, or were a fan of at that time?

I resisted the grunge movement.  I was pretty fresh out of high school, still into Duran Duran but had started listening to Bon Jovi and some of the glam hair bands.  The one grunge band I liked then and still do like is Pearl Jam.  I wasn't ever a fan of Kurt & Co.

6. "I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."
Do people generally like you?

Well?!  Do you?!  (Don't answer that!)

7. "I'm too busy acting like I'm not Naive. I've seen it all, I was here first."
Are you naïve at all?

Oh yes.  I wear it proudly!

8. "I've always had a problem with the average macho man - they've always been a threat to me."
Does a certain type of person scare you?

"Scare" me?  Of course I'd be afraid of someone holding a knife or weapon to me threatening my life or the lives of my children!

If we're talking "intimidated", no, there's not a certain "type" but there are traits that intimidate me.  Some women with whom I've worked have intimidated me, but mostly because I gave them that power, not because their personalities were intimidating.  I was intimidate by my perception of their lifestyle and the confidence they exude -- characteristics that at the time I didn't see in myself.  I've also been a little intimidated by strongly opinionated people, those who are quick to anger/rage.  I am non-confrontational and seek peace, so I tend to cower down to people who are abrasive.

Overall, though, I see most people at my same eye level.  I guess it's a sign of growing older?

9. "If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first."
Do you mind a friend who asks for favors?

No, I don't mind when a friend asks me a favor.  Just don't take me for granted.

10. "The worst crime is faking it."
Do you ever “fake it” for approval?

Absolutely.  I've discussed this before.  It's a difficult thing for me -- seeking intrinsic approval/validation.  I'm learning, though.  In the end, the ultimate approval comes from Above.

No comments:

Post a Comment