Wednesday, January 26, 2011

40 4 40: 22 - WW - Steven Tyler

Today we picked Steven Tyler. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!


1. And the things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those that got there first.
When was the last time that you wanted to do something, but it was all done before you got there?

*laughing SO.HARD.* This is kind of the story of my life....Oh the litany!

2. As good as I am, I'm nothing without my band.
Do you feel there is anyone you could not do without?

Oh absolutely! There's no way I could live my life alone. God created Eve so that Adam would not be alone, so why would I think I can manage this life alone?!  Sure, there are times that isolation and withdrawal are necessary.  The bottom line is, I could not live this life without my family and friends.

Interesting, though, I have given much though and continue to ponder on the notion that God is all I need. If I'm a believer, He will sustain me.  It's difficult for my brain to grasp that concept.  Dear God: That last statement is not an invitation for us to try that concept out, okay? Love, Jackie.

3. Back then it was nothing like today. So you'd go to the bowling alley. We bowled and you could be in the back and you could make out, you know? And you know how hot it was to make out.
When you were young and innocent, what place did you make out?

Movie theaters, Scenic Drive, McKelligon Canyon, Delta Chi parties (thanks to all those lenient, er, cool parents!), public park, at the museum --- uhhh, hi mom. :)

4. Drugs will get you out of your own way, but we lived it, and that's dangerous. It can actually turn around on itself and steal your soul, and that's what happened.
Were you ever tempted by something that could “steal your soul”?

Yes. I have an addictive personality (we all do some degree....). I am guilty of poor judgment, secrets, lies, over-dependency on something unhealthy to me and those around me. I lack self-discipline and my controlling tendencies tend to make it difficult for me to "let go and let God", "take it one day at a time", "fake it till I make it".

5. Every life has a measure of sorrow, and sometimes this is what awakens us.
How do you deal with sorrow?


When my father passed away, shortly thereafter, my church had a Grief Recovery group.  I had already studied the grieving process academically to some degree, but personal experience really makes textbook stuff settle into the soul with permanence. So, I elected to participate in the class, and of course, deepened my knowledge.  One thing that I learned in that series of meetings is something a textbook didn't teach me: allow yourself to grieve all losses, not just the physical death of a person.

This opened my eyes to how grief is in our daily lives from job changes, friendships, even lifestyle changes.  Grief and sorrow exists so that we can feel the exultation of joy and revel in the plethora!

So, how do I deal with sorrow? I thank God for it.

6. Fake it until you make it.
Did you ever have dreams of making it in showbiz in some capacity?

Oh! Look! There's that phrase! I didn't even read the questions ahead of time before I started answering them. *weird*


I had dreams long ago of being famous. I suppose every little girl does.  The stage actress in me still gets so exhilarated by attending a live play or musical, and when I'm sitting there, my mind always scampers back to that time in my life that I was offered a full scholarship to AMDA but couldn't accept. It's a bittersweet experience each time -- never gets easier.

7. Humility is really important because it keeps you fresh and new.
What keeps you fresh and new?

Humility.

(See what I did there... *laughing*)

8. I don't mind being a grandfather.
If you are a grandparent, do you at first “mind it”? If you aren't, how do you think that you would feel about it?

I'm not a grandparent, nor am I looking forward to being one -- yet.

9. I grew up in New Hampshire. My closest neighbor was a mile away. The deer and the raccoons were my friends. So I would spend time walking through the woods, looking for the most beautiful tropical thing that can survive the winter in the woods in New Hampshire.
Do you enjoy winter where you live?

Being born in Alaska in January does not lend itself to automatic love of winter and cold weather. Growing up mostly in Texas, however, does.  I don't remember winters in Germany since I was only a toddler when I lived there, and most of our other stations were in Texas, Alabama and Hawaii.  In Alabama, I was there during the hot months, and we were there only six months total, so yeah, I haven't had much winter experience.

I like the winters in El Paso and Dallas.  There's occasional snow that melts quickly, the temperatures are cold (but I would like them to be a wee bit colder to kill off allergens and bugs).

10. I have to get inspired by something that touches my soul, or rocks my soul.
What rocks your soul?

Good music, an eloquent set of words careful strung together to illicit a heart tug, poetry, my children - especially their laughter, God, a good speech, a warm and bubbly bath, candle light, fresh smells, fingers in my hair, skin-to-skin contact, fellowship, connecting with people..... the list goes on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment