Tuesday, February 03, 2009

How I Clean (Totally Useless Drivel For You)


I tend to start things and it looks like I'm not going to finish them, but they end up getting finished in a strange order on a strange timeline.

This happens all the time when I'm cleaning house.

I will start to vacuum one room, clean the tub in the master bathroom, pick up some clothes and toys, sort through sizes and put some away that no longer fit, eat a sandwich, dust one piece of furniture, then go back to vacuuming, need to go pee so will stop, run to the bathroom that I was cleaning and remember I wasn't finished, so flush - finish cleaning said bathroom - go play for a bit with the kids, and notice I left the feather duster on the shelf near the Wii, so, "Oh! I have to finish dusting", put that stuff away and start sweeping my kitchen floor, go get the vacuum to suck up the dirt pile and think, "while I have the vacuum I should finish that last room", go finish vacuuming, put it away in the garage. As I pass through the kitchen to the garage, I notice the rugs are outside still because my white tile floor is completely bare, so, "Ack! I need to mop!" Start the water in the sink to warm it up, go get the mop, come back and plug the drain, add mop cleaner, and start polishing the floors. Mop myself into a dry corner looking at nothing but white wet all around me.

I laugh.

Tiptoe and hope I don't slip to carpet safety, noticing I still have the mop in my hand, I figure I'll put it in the tub of the front bathroom and, "Yikes! I need to clean THIS bathroom, too!"

I venture down the hall to the master bathroom to get the cleaning supplies I left (forgot to put away) in there to use in the front bathroom (currently in remodel phase, btw). I do manage to clean that bathroom in it's entirety, uninterrupted save one of the girls needing to go potty on my just washed toilet *sigh*.

Pick up the cleaning stuff, walk to the kitchen and put those items under the cabinent. I notice AGAIN bare floors. "Crap! I forgot the rugs!" Shake out rugs, bring them in and lay them down, but not before suddently remembering I left the mop back in the tub of the bathroom, which means, I think I forgot to scrub the tub there.

Frustration sets in right about now. I've been cleaning house for about 6 hours, in what would ordinarily, at most, take two.

Somewhere in there, I've done some filing of veryimportantpapers. I surely have changed batteries in one of the toys for the kids. I took out stuff for dinner.

"Aw hell. Screw cleaning the tub." I roughly grab the mop, put it outside to dry. Go back in and unplug the sink, clean it and smile. Done. For today. Done.

Plop my butt into the sofa and exhale loudly. Feet hurt.

"Dang! I need to wash my hands."

Get back up and endure the tender pain of abused feet. I wash hands in the kitchen, notice meat on the counter to start cooking.

Yeah.

Dinner.

Hmm.

*sigh*

Dinner means more cleaning. Grrr.

And sometimes, this goes on over a period of two days or three. But it all gets done. In my weird way, it does.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny!!! Not me! You know I have a process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Erin, I *know* this to be true about you. Maybe you should send me your process....

    ReplyDelete