Friday, February 20, 2009

Weekly Word of the Weak: Vicissitude

(n.)

1. a change or variation occurring in the course of something
2. interchange or alternation, as in states of things.
3. regular change or succession of one state or thing to another
4. change; mutation; mutability

I like this word a lotlot!

It has that '-tude' part that reminds me of the word 'attitude', and attitude is personality attribute we all have, right?

It also has the 'vic-' part that has the c that sounds like the hissing s sound, followed by the actual double s - same sound. Why the same sound with two different letters? Fascinating (yet another letter combination of 'sc' in 'fascinating' with the same hissing s sound...)!

My point here is not only the sound, but I am then reminded of the word 'visceral' when I say that 'vic-' part of 'vicissitude'. Viscera = The Gut.

In away, it intertwines one's flesh (viscera) and fibers of one's soul (attitude). By doing this, one cannot walk through life without being changed or causing change.

So, go forth and effectuate vicissitude. I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment