Tuesday, February 01, 2011

40 4 40: 27 - WW - Charlie Sheen

Today we picked Charlie Sheen. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!




1. As kids we're not taught how to deal with success; we're taught how to deal with failure. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. If at first you succeed, then what?
What is something in which that you did not expect to succeed, but ultimately you were successful?

I don't know about you, but I think he has a pretty valid point.  And for someone who has always seen myself as NOT succeeding at things, to answer this question is quite a challenge!

As a young woman, I envisioned myself finishing college, starting a family and being a stay-at-home mother/wife until the kids were older. When they were school age, I would work during their school time.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! WTF was I thinking?!

Does that mean I'm a failure? Hell no. It means that I didn't live out that "dream".

Taking inventory of my life currently, I'd say I'm very successful.  And although I have not completed my formal education, I feel quite thankful for the gifts given to me that qualify me as "successful".

2. Dad kept us out of school, but school comes and goes. Family is forever.
What do you think about home schooling?

I think home schooling is appropriate so long as the parents make the effort to appropriately socialize the child.  All too often, home schooling leads to sheltering of a child.  The child grows up in a bubble and when is of age to go to college or live life independently, s/he doesn't have the coping mechanisms or the social finesse to feel well-adjusted.

Family IS forever. True. Undeniable.

3. I just didn't believe I was like everybody else. I thought I was unique.
What makes you unique?

I'm "unique" in many ways, but I'm exactly who I am supposed to be.  We are socialized and it's natural for us to want to compartmentalize everything and everyone. The key is to accept self and accept others.
4. I just don't want to live like I used to. And at some point, I'm going to put a gag order on myself in terms of talking about the past. I've got to slam the door and deal with the present and the future.
When you meet someone, how much of your past do you reveal?

I have this drive to want to fully disclose my whole self to someone, but I'm also a bit cynnical about a person handling all that information anymore. I'm nestled into the belief that no one can and should know everything about me.  And it's not selfish by any means. It's not that I necessarily want to hide or protect myself.  It's also thoughtfulness of the other person.  It's the consderation that perhaps that person doesn't want to know, or has a set of experiences and circumstances that will inhibit acceptance.  Of course, the underlying fear of not being accepted flutters about constantly. 

So, when I first meet a person, I do what comes naturally. If there's something that I reveal about my past that makes sense in the context of the conversation or situation, I'll open up about my past.  Otherwise, the past is merely a tool by which I've grown into the person I am today.
5. I saw 28 Days. I don't remember rehab being like a day camp or being that funny. Rehab is a dumping ground. It's a big landfill.
Has rehab helped either you or a member of your family?

I don't personally know anyone who has been to rehab.  The closest experience I have to rehab is my activity in the 12 Step program of Overeaters Anonymous.  I'm a huge believer in the 12 step program! So, yes, it's helped me personally and others I know.
6. I still don't have all the answers. I'm more interested in what I can do next than what I did last.
Do you dwell on your past?

Yes, I will go through dark periods of self-doubt, self-condemnation, self-analysis.  When I'm in these funks, I tend to be harshly critical of myself.  I try hard to move on quickly but somethings remain unreconciled.  I'm no exception here....we all go through degrees and periods of past-dwelling.
7. I think what drove me insane for a long time is feeling like I hadn't earned most of what I achieved because it came so fast.
Have you ever profited from something that at the time you felt that you did not earn?

Oh, I suppose so. If there are times I've been at work and kind of blown off the day by doing stupid non-work things (like blog), then most certainly, I feel like I've profited without earning.

It's easy to spiritually feel unworthy or in a state of having more than I deserve.  I suppose it has a healthy and fruitful function of humility.  This is a truth for me...not feeling worthy of all that I'm given.  I look at my kids and wonder how in the world God though *I* could raise them.  I evaluate my life and wonder how the heck I landed on my feet so gracefully.  It's all through God's grace.
8. I've got volumes on how not to behave. I've got more information now than a guy should have at my age.
Have you ever behaved in a way that you should not have?

Daily. *laughing*  Pray for me!
9. The paramedic called the press and sold me like a loaf of bread. This was news, and he wanted to be the one to report it.
Have you ever been in an ambulance? If not, have you ever been present when an ambulance was used?

I have been in the back of an ambulance at certain community fairs and whatnot, but not in an emergency situation.  I followed an ambulance in which my mother was being transported a couple years ago.  That was pretty scary.  The whole time, I was clutching a medal of JPII and praying for Mom's healthy.  Scary. No likey.
10. Uncertainty is a sign of humility, and humility is just the ability or the willingness to learn.
Is there any uncertainty in your life at the present time? In the past?

I live in constant uncertainty. Constant! It's a strange thing to be feel confident and uncertain at the same time.  I'm certainly not complaining, though.

~Whoosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment