Wednesday, February 23, 2011

WW: Ashley Judd



1. Abstinence, being faithful and correct and consistent condom use are the only ways to successfully reach everyone when discussing HIV prevention. I believe that the abstinence message alone does not solve the AIDS epidemic.
Do you think there is any realistic point of trying to teach abstinence?

Seems like a losing battle -- kind of like the Drug War. There's so much media selling sex and let's face it, sex sells. Abstinence doesn't. Once those in pop-culture media collectively embrace abstinence and represent it as "cool", then maybe there will be a point.

Societal criticism aside, I do believe in the *value* of teaching it and as my kids grow older, I will lay this foundation to the best of my ability, toss in some prayer, and trust The Man Upstairs.

2. And when I started to get wind of the fact that they actually liked me being around. That was humbling, because Kentucky basketball is a big deal, and I am not the biggest fan - I am just the most notorious one.
What are you a fan of (sport or non-sport)?

You name it, I like it; I just wished I played more!

I'm a HUGE fan of NFL, NHL. I have always liked college hoops. I am not much for NBA, but keep one ear open about the Mavs.  Same for baseball. I listen to sports talk radio a lot during the day, so I get an earful of sports.

Olympics, community sports, school athletics...you name it, I pretty much like it. 

Exclusion:  WWE.

3. Both my husband and I give a lot of ourselves in what we do because that is our public lives; but in my private life, I have an intrinsic right to be left alone.
How much alone time do you need in a relationship?

I need more than I take/get.

4. I did a lot of hiking and I loved it.
What outdoor activity is your favorite?

I also love hiking! Haven't done it in years.

5. I get lonely when I'm a Playstation widow.
What video games are you into?

We have a Wii in our house. I am a huge fan of the Active Life games such as Outdoor Adventure and Just Dance. 

On my cell phone, I tend to play word games or visual attention games such as Words With Friends and Mahjong.

6. I think it's easy for me to connect to some people, and I don't know if that's the same thing as falling in love whereas before, I might have said it was.
Tell us about a time that you thought you were in love, only to find out that it was only physical attraction?

Do crushes count? I have this almost daily. *laughing*

7. I think that being perceptive and having interests is nothing but an asset.
How perceptive are you with new people in you meet?

I've been told I'm rather perceptive and observant. I've also been told that I have some sensitivities to people that maybe others don't. I connect with people fairly easily, and agree it's an asset.  It can be a bit dangerous because some people want me to be more invested than I'm willing to be.

8. I think that, as with marriage, you just know when it's time to have kids.
If you have kids was it because you were ready? If not when did you decide that?

My experience of having children was one I believe to be totally bigger than myself.

I didn't want any children, yet, I have two. When I found out I was pregnant with My Eldest, I knew it was meant to be. My dad was dying of cancer, and here, his legacy was growing in my body.  Beautiful life-is-full-circle moment for me. Humbling.

When My Eldest was about 3 or 4, My Husband and I were trying to have kids and I miscarried two over about a year's time. I was 35, adamant about not having children after 35. When I miscarried, I accepted that My Eldest is enough and she's abundant.  My Eldest was beautiful and sweet and more than I could ever hope and dream. I would be perfectly happy with her and the three of us as a family.

About six weeks after the miscarriage, I was at the gynecologist's office for an annual exam and came out of there being informed I was pregnant. *shock* Again, unexpected.  Again, in my mind, meant to be.

Was I ready for them? Yes. Did I feel ready for them? No. But it's not about me. I know that I was given the tools to mother them, and settled into that role fairly quickly. I just knew.

9. It's up to us to take pop culture back and to express quality and dignity for both boys and girls.
What’s the best of pop culture that works for you in 2011?

Gosh, I can't say that anything in pop culture works for me. I know I must sound like an old, crotchety, judgmental mother.

I openly admit to being a bit of a control freak about what My Kids watch, see, listen to and do. I know there are good things out there....I just don't have the time or energy to find them. Sad? Maybe. But I feel like My Kids are well-adjusted, happy, and even "cool".

10. No, I don't tolerate pressure from anyone about anything.
When was the time that someone made you feel pressured?

I feel pressure at work, pressure by My Husband, pressure by My Kids, pressure by My Mother, and so on -- all at once. Yeah, I'm a bit anxious. I would like to handle it better than I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment