Thursday, February 17, 2011

WW: Selma Hayek


She looks a bit like Cher here, no?
1. Every woman who thinks she is the only victim of violence has to know that there are many more.
Do you know someone that has been a victim of domestic violence?
Yes, I know a woman who is the victim of domestic violence: my  mom. I'm blessed she survived long enough to have me.
2. I became obsessed with all these women who die never feeling they did anything extraordinary with their lives.
hat woman do you feel has made a significant contribution to society over the last decade?

This is a bit tricky to answer consdering in The Information Age, it's difficult to filter through what is fed to us and have a realistic picture of how someone is or what they do for us. 

I also think this is a bit of a bogus question because there are many non-famous women who make daily impacts.  Sadly, I couldn't put a face to her or a name, but I know she's out there.  And if you're one of those notsofamous women changing the world in subtle ways, and you've come across this lil blog o' mine, just know this notsofamous woman lifts you up in glory and gratitude!

To the intent of the question:

Oprah comes to mind first. She's rather influential, wouldn't you say? And her influence surpasses pop culture and television. Her opinions affect the economy and politics! She's had incredible global influence.  She uses her powers for good and not evil. And considering her childhood and background, I'm pretty amazed by her.

Though she died in the nineties, her legacy lives on in her children.  Lady Diana, pristine royalty unafraid to touch diseased humans in third world countries, has left a lasting contribution as manifested in her sons.  They appear to be very compassionate humanitarians who have taken their mother's work and made it soar.

Know who else I think is making a difference? It might surprise you.  Ready? Angelina Jolie. Talk about a person who has a global mind! And not only is she a global thinker, she ACTS on her worldly thoughts, and I don't mean by adopting kids from all around the world.  She's an Ambassador for the UN!

Also globally, yet so under the radar is WHO's Director General Margaret Chan. Yeah, she's making decisions about science and health for THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD! Um, yeah, important I'd say.

Women such as Hilary Clinton, Condolezza Rice (*sigh* I love this woman! Dear Condi, please buy an NFL team. Specifically, please uproot Jerry Jones and be the Cowboys owner. kthnxbye), Melinda Gates, Sarah Palin (*ducks*), JK Rowling all with morsels of influence.

I ventured out to the list of 100 Most Powerful Women as defined by Forbes, and was surprised to see the following names:
  • Lady Gaga
  • Beyonce
  • Michelle Bachman
I'm embarrassed to confess that I had no idea there were so many female world leaders (thus proving my headinthesand-ness)! I was not surprised, however, to find so many female CEOs. Nor was I surprised to see the plethora of female representation in the U.S. government.  Lastly, seeing so many women who are leaders of charitable organizations doesn't surprise me in the least.
3. I have a farm and I love it there. There's really nothing to do, but even watching the chickens, its fun.
Have you ever considered life on a farm (perhaps with a pig named Arnold)?

I've considered living on a ranch. I am very intrigued by living far out of the city, but then I think about the bugs and varmints and wonder if I'd get thick enough skin to survive that.

For over a decade, I've longed to own an ittybitty lakehouse but (1) I can't afford two mortgages, (2) I don't have enough cash to pay for it outright and (3) spiders -- BIG spiders -- live at the lake.  As a 4th for insurance -- water moccasins. Those snakes creep me out megabig! *shiver*

I would mostly love a place that's out of town, to a drive-able distance, that I could be alone for a few days.  This place would also be a destination for a girls weekend, a family get-away, or a lent place for a dear friend or family member to stay. It'd be a refuge of sorts. It'd be a creative space. It'd be free of congestion and city noise. It'd not have internet access or television; maybe it'll have a radio. It'd have a comfy bed, an incomplete set of dishes, cloth napkins. I'd want a washer but no dryer so that I could let the laundry air dry (as if there'd even be much laundry....).


No, no. I haven't considered a farm. Other "just watch the chickens" places, yes.

4. I proved to myself that if I believe in something and set my mind to it I could actually accomplish it.
Do you think that’s true of everybody in all situations?

I believe we all have latent power, so to speak. We find it through adversity. So, yes.
5. I really do love Diana Ross; I grew up listening to her records. I grew up in a little town in Mexico, so while we got the music, we never got the experience of watching her.
Who is you favorite Motown era artist?

Tina Turner! Those legs! That hair! That voice! Time to listen to "Proud Mary".....

6. I think it's nice for women to try to be sexy for their man.
How much time to you spend getting “sexy” for a partner?

Not nearly enough...  but I do like to feel sexy, even if it's for myself. I don't need a man to validate my sexy (and that's not feminism talking -- it's self-respect!).

7. I'm good at working, but I'm very good at playing.
How do balance work and play in your life?

I don't. I just don't.
8. I've stolen a couple of hearts and they are in my private collection!
Do you think that you’ve ever broke someone’s heart?

It all washes out in the end.....
9. My driving abilities from Mexico have helped me get through Hollywood.
Do you think that you drive well?
Negatory! I hate city driving. I love road trips. Neither in which I drive well.

*snaps fingers* Chauffeur???

10. Some men have a silly theory about beautiful women - that somewhere along the line they'll turn into a monster.
Do you feel that someone’s looks has a lot to do with their behavior?

I think a person's self-respect, self-esteem and self-perception affects his/her behavior. If those are askew as a result of looks, education, culture, whatever reason, then it'll affect behavior.


No comments:

Post a Comment