Tuesday, February 08, 2011

40 4 40: 29 - WW - Ronald Reagan

Today we picked Ronald Reagan. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

This is going to be tough for me because a lot of the questions are about Ronald Regan's politics, and I've chosen to abstain from politics for a few years now, not because I don't care, rather because of a combination of becoming a bit apathetic as well as being too busy to care.  American Politics feels very negative anymore. There used to be a time where it's core agenda was bettering humanity, globally.  I admit to living in a bubble, unaware and unwilling to learn very much about world politics. 
1. A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at?
Are you concerned about mankind's intrusion into forests and jungles?

I'm claiming ignorance right off the bat. With that said, no, not concerned. I'm more concerned about the waste issue. Reduce, reuse, recycle, people! Only order what you're going to eat. If you don't eat it all -- leftovers! Use cloth napkins instead of paper napkins, and use them more than once if they aren't too soiled. Use plastic, washable plates in stead of paper plates. Same with cups. Don't throw away your plastic ware used at parties -- wash it and use it again! Oh, speaking of all this washing -- kill your dishwasher and wash by hand WITHOUT the water running while washing and rinsing. Wash all the dishes then dry all the dishes. If there are too many, do it in shifts.

I could go on, but then I'll sound like a liberal (all due respect to Mr. Reagan!) and lose my "fence squatting" status as an Independent.

2. All great change in America begins at the dinner table.
What is the biggest change that you've seen in your lifetime with the U.S?

Information Age.

3. All the waste in a year from a nuclear power plant can be stored under a desk.
Do you feel nuclear power is still the fuel of our future?

No, I don't, especially with alternative fuel sources being developed.

Strangely, being a child of the 80's, which was a generation rattled with fear of AIDS and nuclear war, I still fear nuclear war and associate "nuclear energy" with war. 

4. But there are advantages to being elected President. The day after I was elected, I had my high school grades classified Top Secret.
How did you do academically in high school?

I did well in high school academically -- graduated top 10%, honors courses, scholarships and all that jazz. High school performance is not a good indicator of college performance or career success, not anymore anyway. The richest, most successful, brilliant people in the world are/were high school or college drop outs.

5. Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
How closely have you followed the uprising in Egypt? Thoughts?

There's an uprising in Egypt?

Yeah, remember? I don't watch or read news anymore.

On a side note, I find the usage of the phrase "concentrated power" to be quite glaring. What a powerful & eloquent quote by Mr. Reagan.

6. Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man.
Do you feel a political system is worth dying for?

Yes, I do, but not all of them. I believe democracy is worth dying for. Parliament is a close second. The rest -- meh.

7. Don't be afraid to see what you see.
What do you see that scares you?

Again, I try very hard not to see or seek things in this vain because I already live in enough fear. I also don't like negative energy around me.

However, in a hobbling effort to answer the question and play fairly, though, I'll list a couple.  Some "scares" I have include: sexual predators, neglect of the elderly, mistreatment of innocents, the forgotten people, ignorance, stupidity.

I have more, but I don't want to go there....nor do I want to take you there.

Considering another perspective, a few quotes by Eleanor Roosevelt pounced to the front of my thoughts:

Do one thing each day that scares you.
You can often change your circumstances if you change your attitude.

Fear is crippling.  Overcoming it to advance is necessary, yet optional. What a very uncomfortable way to exist.

Trust the process. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

8. Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known.
Tell us about an advance that you we will see in our lifetimes that is not in existence.

It's questions like this that make me wish I was more of a science-head. Also makes me wish I graduated college. *laughing*

I suppose it's pretty realistic to have a chip implanted that would keep our personal data and allow us access to information, places, etc. Right? Would you want that? Is that considered an advance? You decide... :)

9. Facts are stubborn things.
What is something that most think of as a fact that does not ring true to you?

News is unbiased.

A politician can effectuate the change in a term as espoused in campaign-speak.

The Catholic (or any church) Church is perfect.

Castration cures the male sexual predator.

..........


10. Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged.
What do you think of politicians that use religion as justification of their beliefs?

Religion and politics. Politics and religion. I'm cringing and uncomfortable with this question.

Generally speaking, I'm unconcerned if a U.S. politician uses his or her faith as a tool to discern the health of the people at large. It says to me that he or she thinks beyond self, with compassion. They already do by being a servant to the community and public at large. So if s/he prays, uses words in speeches that suggest using faith as a tool in making decisions, I'm generally okay with that.

If one is believer in a god, there are two sets of laws to consider: God's law and civil law (man's law). The clashing of the two is the battle of Wills: God's vs. Free, I suppose. Assuming a politician is a believer, then it's only logical that faith would impact governing decisions, even subconsciously. Americans who believe otherwise, demanding church and state be separated, are fooling themselves, even if the Constitution says "separate". Have you taken a good, hard look at our currency?

I like how this question assumes a politician even has a religion. What about the Athiests? How would his/her NoGod-brain impact government and society? Ever thought about that? And Agnostics? OhThereMightBeAGod-brains will impact politics in what way? Thomas Jefferson settled into Deism. He's the primary author of the Constitition. What conclusions would you draw from those facts?

Too much philosophy worming around now...so...best I stop.

~Whoosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment