Wednesday, March 25, 2009

This Might Be The Nicest Set of Words I Have Ever Read Because of The Wonderfully Sweet Sentiments Eruditely Conveyed

I supposed I should succumb to the notion (fact) that I am a romantic, even though I've trained myself not to be. At certain times, in unexpected ways, something strikes my romantic chord and the vibration resonates for days and days. Sometimes the thought of that experience will pitter-patter through my mind in a daydream years from now. I suspect that the following set of words will linger in the depths of my mind and soul for the remainder of my days.

A little background: In my job, I read through many legal documents that pertain to property ownership. Commonly, a person has passed away and bequeathed their assets, so I effectuate those changes of ownership in our accounting system.

Last week, I dove into this giant stack of papers from an attorney's office that was tightly bound by one of those black clips that doubles as a mouse trap. I'd been putting it off and putting it off. I couldn't any longer. I propped my feet up on the buttfile (I'll explain some other time), leaned back in my chair, took a deep breath and read through the tedium.

Turns out there's no tedium! A gentleman had a lengthy Last Will & Testament chock full of wealth. He'd been so specific that he actually financially provided for his wife, their children and their grandchildren. Nice, huh? At the end of his Will, the following words were written. But, there is so much more than words. The chivalry he displays by honoring his wife, the mother of their children, moved me beyond words and into full-on tears.

My prayer is that all of have this kind of love.

"During my days on earth, I gave everything that was in me to provide for my loving wife and kin; to make them happy; to keep them from want and to provide and secure for them economic independence. The foregoing provisions of this Will are designed to insure a measure of economic independence to my loving wife and kin after I shall have departed from this earth.



If my wife shall find that life's enjoyment and her best interests make remarriage advisable, it is my wish and I recommend that she do so at any time that she so pleases, even immediately after my death, irrespective of any law or custom to the contrary notwithstanding; let her follow an vocation in life she may choose without any restriction of any kind.



To my darling children I say 'never forget your dearest Mother. Mother may be getting old, wrinkled, feeble, whatever she may be, remember she is still your Mother, always was a real Mother'. I beseech thee, my children, to always love, cherish and comfort your Mother. Give, give and give some more for she gave, gave and gave all she had, all that was in her. It is you who always were her life, her hope. It is you that are enshrined down deep in her warm heart, and will be there to the end of the last breath. May the hand of time rest lightly upon her dear head; may she love and be loved; may destiny and good fortune care for her and hers most tenderly and perserve her old age in good health and keep her from want, worry, hardship and unhappiness; may Providence reserve and preserve for her, her children's and grandchildren's lives and their affections amidst honor, joy and sunshine".

No comments:

Post a Comment