Thursday, March 12, 2009

Per My Eldest, Snake Charmer


Tonight, when I got home from work, My Eldest greeted me at the door with lots of squealing, jumping up and down and clapping.
"Mama! Mama!! There's a gardner snake outside on our sidewalk! Come see it! Come see it!!"
My Little One was lost in slumber (lucky kid). My Mom was covered under the quilt laying on the sofa.

My Eldest finds a container and some bravery. She's normally a pretty scared kid about almost everything that crawls. I was AMAZED that she wanted to scoop up the snake and keep it "for a pet". *I* am scared of snakes, and even though this was a garden snake, I wasn't about to have any part of capturing it for domesticity. BUT, I didn't want to squelch her desire. Additionally, I want her to be more fearless -- she needs to be more fearless.

She teased me about being a chicken, and I said that I was proud of her for being so brave; that she was doing something Mama wouldn't do.
In and out of that front door she paced, trying to get closer and closer to it -- trying to get braver and braver. She fetched a spade from the back yard in the garden where My Little One LOVES to dig and make me mud cakes.
Back and forth My Eldest goes. Giddy, nervous, excited, courageous, she decides she can't do it. So My Mom grabs the spade and bucket from My Eldest's hands, marches outside and scoops that snake up into the clear plastic container (the former home of some very yummy pistachios!).

By now, I've awaked My Little One and she's a pouty, grumpy bear curled under her dress on my lap pressing her face against my chest. My Eldest comes bouncing in going crazy about My Mom capturing the snake and it freaks the HELL out of My Little One. YOWZA she went berzerk! "Get it away! GET! IT! AWAY!"
So...a little time passes and everyone's calmer. My Mom went home, The Girls are admiring the snake. The snake, however, is not that calm. It's so terrified it's already pooped in it's new "home".

My Eldest comes up with the clever idea to put plastic wrap over the hole of the container bound by a rubber band, then poke little holes in it. She finishes getting the habitat situated and I snap a couple of pictures. My Eldest excitedly encourages me, "Mama! You can put this on your blog! Put on there , Snake Charmer!"

Huh?
So, being the good mama I am, I'm posting the pictures for your enjoyment. And, even though she didn't REALLY charm the snake, she's at least charming while holding the snake.




(Keep all adult jokes to yourself!)

1 comment: