Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Weekly Word of the Weak: Erudite

There's hardly a better way to impress me than using good vocabulary (unless you gift me a Jag...but that's another story.). I'm not especially smart, but I do appreciate -- if you haven't already noticed -- a good word.

The word this week is ERUDITE, defined as....
–adjective
characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly


I was actually accused of being erudite earlier this week! I'm being fecetious, of course, but I was taken aback. I couldn't believe it. Never have I though of myself as erudite. Erudite is for all you Harvard and Oxford folk: academians, graduates, researchers, and the like. It's for people who drive Aston Martins and live in the upper tax brackets of economics. Erudite is for people who are published in medical journals, or circles of specific fields of expertise.
KC is a good friend of mine (even though he likes the Leafs!). He asked me to describe something in particular using the written word, and I struggled with it -- like REALLY grappled with pulling the words from my brain to the keyboard. He then said something to the effect of, '...you're one of the most erudite women I have ever known...you can do it'. I immediately complimented him on his usage of the word 'erudite' and told him I'd post it on my blog this week.
Cheers, KC! This one's for you. And I think I forgot to express gratitude to you for the compliment earlier today. So, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment