Thursday, March 26, 2009

Weekly Word of the Weak: Fey

A few years ago, I was at a ranch of a family member. My father was close to dying. His sister and I had a few moments to ourselves which was pretty rare considering how much family was always around at this certain time of year.

We talked about religion a lot. I was still agnostic at that time, but open to hearing and learning more. I yearned to know more. Looking back, I could see the Holy Spirit was infused at that moment in time, working on me.

As the conversation transpired, my aunt began describing me as a child. She said that I was "fey". I'd never heard that word before. And I haven't heard it since. But lately, I've been thinking about my dad's side of the family and how much I miss them all, and that word -- that conversation -- crossed my mind.

adjective
whimsical; strange; otherworldly

When she first told it to me, she described it as 'on another plane' or 'in your own little world, but not in a bad way'. I was flattered, truthfully. And in a way, I was validated. The validation came from an unlikely source.

I've recently started describing myself as 'tethered to the Earth...I'm a balloon reaching to the outer atmosphere, but someone is keeping me on the Earth, and I feel like I'm above, watching things, watching people'. Now I am correllating that description of 'tethering' to 'fey'.

My Eldest is fey. She truly is in her own world. She isn't strange by any means, but she's definitely on another plane. I see a lot of myself in her and hope she doesn't feel as awkward as I did -- still do.

I love this word. It ironically helps me feel like I fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment