Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Vacation!

I took vacation time from work this morning and dedicated it to My Eldest. She's been asking almost all school year for me to come and eat lunch with her. If their lunch wasn't at 10 freakin 45 in the mornin, I'd do it a lot more...and *without* having to take vacation time! But I digress....

My Eldest has also asked me all school year to please try to attend Mass with her one morning. Every Wednesday, the children of the school attend Mass "in the big church". Several friends at church have also encouraged me to come because "it's so special"..."it's like something you've never seen"..."to hear the kids sing!" (then they make the sign of the cross).

In order to fulfill these requests, my brain went into overdrive last week, and it's processing went something like this:
1. It's Lent. Lent means more prayer, more almsgiving and fasting.
2. How can I pray more?
3. I can attend church a little more.
4. Hey! Eldest wants me to go to the children's Mass sometime....
5. Hey! How about Holy Week?? That'd be *perfect*!
6. Heyyyy! I could have lunch with her *too* -- all in ONE lovely day!

Wow.

I'm brilliant. (Now I just gotta work on that fasting part...)

After my brainstorm settled, I got things all planned out. My Eldest was thrilled. I was thrilled she was thrilled.

And, you know what? I can't believe I waited so long! I was moved to tears as Mass began. The children sang a beautiful processional song. (Even cooler, they signed it!) The sound of children's voices singing collectively in the name of God is truly a spirit-enhancing experience. I cannot convey in mere words the level of depth and warmth and unity I felt. When I was welcomed to the Church last Easter, I felt suddently (and unexpectedly) connected to the whole world. Today's experience went Beyond. I can't even describe it.

Processional is finished; we sit. I wiped away my tears and settled into the pew next to My Eldest. We hold each other's hands. Of course, she gets distracted and starts piddling around, but I listen intently on the message. (Preachy Side Bar: The message today was about how God so deeply yearns to forgive us for all our sins and inequities. He longs to love us and needs us to reach out to Him in our anxious and fearful times. God so wants to forgive and love us unconditionally that He sent us Jesus. Jesus fulfilled God's promise by being sacrificed. Big, giant, monumental concept, but such a simple message. Such a small act of faith and humility. Why is it so hard? I needed to hear that message. But I digress.... )

Throughout the Mass, the children sang songs familiar to them; most of which I had not heard before today. I am still riding upon the musical waves they created....

So...the Mass was wonderful and I am going to do it again before school gets out. As for lunch, I picked up Chick-Fil-A and took it back to the school. We shared chicken minis and fruit and a sweet tea. We were accompanied by the deacon and his granddaughter who is in My Eldest's class (they are quickly nurturing a cute lil friendship. It's so nice for My Eldest to have a girl friend!!) We exchanged stories about bugs and mangoes and Hawaii. It was quite a fun morning!

So, My Eldest, thank you for inviting Mommy to Mass and lunch. Thank you, Love, for being persisitent and patient. I love you so much!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment