Sunday, April 08, 2007

Easterbabble

Last night, we went to Easter Vigil Mass. For those of you who aren't familiar with the concept of a vigil Mass, it is the Saturday evening mass that sort of 'takes the place' of going to church on Sunday. I live for the vigil Mass because I love football and sleeping in too much (sorry God).

My 2 favorite things about the Vigil Mass: the Ceremony of Light and the Baptisms.

Adult baptisms are so different that infant baptisms even though they are serving the same purpose. And as I watched the baptisms last night, I was happy and sad at the same time. Happy because the new Christians being purified and welcomed into the community of the Body of Christ. Happy because I remember that just last year, I was being submerged by the gentle hands of a loving priest who had the biggest grin on his face when he said, "Monica, I baptize you in the name of the Father, The Son and The Holy Spirit". I'll never forget begin drenched in warm water, being lifted up to the top step and looking up at the crucifix in our church. I wanted to cry but I didn't. I felt so much peace, joy and relief. SAD because I won't ever get to do that again. SAD because I realize how much I have to work to keep my salvation. I'll never get the 'free pass' again. I have to meet God halfway, y'know? Anyway...it was bittersweet.

And then....today....the Great Easter Egg Hunt of 2007. Four little girls ranging from age 1 to 6 all looking for eggs. Not that hard considering the yard is yay big and we had roughly ohhh 5127 eggs to 'hide'. So, the yard is rainbow colored covered in various eggs: soccer theme, polka dots, flowered, bespeckled, and 'plain'. Did you know they make eggs representing the head of Spiderman now?? (Poor Spidey. I wonder if he feels like he's accomplished all he can outta life now...) The girls scoop up Target bags full of eggs because they had so much loot that their giant baskets overflowed and overflowed and ohhhhverflowed.

The eggs are paraded into the house where 3 of the 4 girls who can talk proceeded to open EACH egg in front of all us adults and announce in their squealy voices each prize that was hidden in the egg. It's hard to stay enthusiastic about ANOTHER bendy bunny and ANOTHER Snickers. Imagine 3 mousy voices, all sweet like angels, high on sugar and Easter celebrating going through over 5K eggs with little prizes (most of which don't have much practical purpose really. I mean are we ever going to use the Easter themed erases in a lifetime??) I appreciate the thoughts and gestures (even though it sounds like I don't) but I am filing this kind of activity under the same file as my "Christmas gift giving" one. I don't know what we'll do with bendy bunnies and whatnot.

So Lent is over and it is the Easter season. I am ever grateful to be baptized and I love the light that Jesus has lit inside me, which perseveres eternally, radiation in those around me that I know intimately, am barely acquainted with and joined with globally as a part of the Body of Christ. The rest I can do without -- well, except for the immeasureable memory of the girl's smiles, their pretty dresses, their sweet curiousity and of course, the squealing.

He is Risen! Rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment