Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Entering Grandparenthood


Today is the first step toward "my baby is growing up", also known as "going to be a grandparent before too long...".
Today is one of those 'milestone' days -- the kind of day when I realize how precious life is, that so many moments are gone that I'll never get back, that I'm missing out on so much, just gleening the highlights such as first tooth, first step, first word....first day of school. It's one of those moments, where I am realizing that, although it's so wonderful I can share in this kind of milestone, I am so sad of all the things I've missed and will miss. But this isn't about me, is it? It's about My Little One and how wonderful she is -- how bright and gorgeous she is -- how super special and amazingly unique she is. Yeah, it's about HER -- as it should be.
Today, My Little One started school. I couldn't be more happy -- or more sad. I thought it would get easier since My Eldest was, in theory, trailblazing and paving the way, breaking me in so to speak.

I cried. Can't help it -- the tears, they just fall. Uncontrollably.
My Eldest was sooo excited, as was My Little One. "Mommy, can we take my Little Sister to school before we take me to school? I want to see her new school! Pleeeeeease?!" She helped the whole morning from fixing breakfast, get her Little Sister ready, carrying the necessary items to keep at school, all the way to opening the door and walking into the classroom hand-in-hand with her Little Sister.
Finally My Little One is a big girl 'like sissy'. She has been begging to go to school like her Big Sister. She's ready for it, and it's overdue. Although it's not the school I ultimately wanted, it seems like a nice place. The teachers and director seem very nice, capable. The school is brand-spankin'-new, which I suppose means it could be very, very good OR very, very bad. Let's cross our fingers, eyes and legs and hope it's the former, shall we?


No comments:

Post a Comment