Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Going Green

I didn't realize how many green intiatives I've been making over the last year until I really stopped to think about it. They all just happened pretty much by accident.
1. Reduce, Re-use, Recycle has become a key theme in my household, especially since Curious George was released and Jack Johnson had that great song entitled as such. My Eldest has really pushed the theme of the song in creative ways.
2. Since we moved into our house, the city in which we live provides us blue bags designated for recyclable materials. We don't even need to separate glass, paper and plastics. Invariably we have at least one bag a week to set out on Fridays for collection. Admittedly, I am slightly obsessing about recycling. I will bring home items from restaurants, work, shopping that are recycleable and put them in my blue bag at home. It's bad but good at the same time. Don't judge me.
3. Using cloth napkins more often. Criticism exists out there for wasting water by using cloth napkins vs. using paper napkins. I suppose either way is a losing situation as far as waste is concerned, but at least the cloth napkins are not taking up space in a floating landfill in the middle of the Atlantic ocean.
4. Our washer went kaplooie a few months back, so when we shopping for a new one, we learned a lotlot about High Efficiency washers and dryers. Lo and behold, a beautiful set of High Efficiency washing and drying machines occupy my laundry room. Amazing how many gallons of water is used in a 'standard' machine vs. the one we bought! At the end of the wash cycle, the clothes are practically dry because (1) less water is used and (2) the spin cycle on that puppy is wickedfast so all the water that might be extra is spun into oblivion. The result of efficient washing is efficient drying, meaning, it takes less time to dry your clothes as it would in the 'standard' dryer.
5. I keep at my work space a Starbucks insulated plastic cup, a plastic plate, a set of silverware, a paring knife and porcelain bowl so I don't consume the styrofoam cups, bowls and plates and the plastic utensils at my office. I'm keeping, in a super small way, company costs down, as well as contributing to a safer earth by not discarding something into a landfill that's non-biodegradable. It takes no time to wash my dishes after eating.
6. I enjoy the annual Trash Bash my city has each April. Now, when my family goes walking, we often take a plastic bag with us and collect trash in our neighborhood so as to keep our little slice of Earth clean. I am sure to teach My Girls how they are nurturing God's creation by being good stewards of the Earth as God calls us all to be.
7. The latest addition to our 'green' lifestyle is a Honda Civic Hybrid. I thought I would NEVER get rid of my 1994 paint's-really-in-crappy-condition-but-the-motor's-good Acura Integra (with a spoiler), otherwise known as Jackie's Divorce Car. When I moved from El Paso as I was splitting from my first husband, I knew I'd need a cheaper car payment. I had an automatic 1995 Chevy Camaro that I traded in for the more practical standard Acura Integra. Gone were the days of fast, easy living (of crime). Here were the days of being renewed, humbled and divorced. That Integra brought me to a new life, so I don't totally hate it. I am, however, glad to be rid of it. So, now, welcome the new era of cleaner living.

My Husband works for a Canadian based oil and gas producer. Their U.S. division is strictly natural gas production (not THAT kind, y'all! Quit snickering and grow up!). They recently purchased or somehow acquired a natural gas vehicle that they are loaning to any employee who is interested in test driving it. The employee can keep it overnight, so I believe the NGX is visiting my household in June sometime.
When the Acura was sold to a friend of mine for her teenage son, the money must've been burning a hole in My Husband's pocket. Later that same night, we scurried over to the closest Honda dealer and test drove the NGX and, of course, the Hybrid. While we liked the NGX, we LOVED the Hybrid. The NGX is still a little too basic and kind of rough. Plus, the gas will be hard to find around here. There are only a handful of geographically undesirable stations, and the cost to have a tank installed at your house is a little steep, and sadly, the manufacturer of the tank isn't being backed by Honda themselves. As a guy I work with so eloquently stated, Honda is shooting themselves in the foot by doing that.

So, now we're the proud owners of a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid and couldn't be happier. (AND it's Dallas Cowboys colors. SCORE!)

One last note: Although it wasn't intentional, meaning I didn't seek out to do this today, I bought Ziplock "Evolve" plastic bags that were made by using wind energy. Not sure if they're any better than non-evolved plastic bags, but I'll give 'em a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment