Monday, September 06, 2010

Bike Riding

I have to just say, this makes me smile.

It's that kind of smile where you just have to shake your head, too...

My Eldest and I went bike riding together today.  This is the first time My Eldest and I have been able to bike ride without it being a little girl behind me whining that she can't ride her bike, which was so frustrating to me because she COULD ride her bike, yet she lacked the confidence.  (Thanks to the lady who kept her over the summer for the extra bike lessons & daily riding!  That woman is such a blessing!  Now My Eldest is quite adept -- yay!)

Anyway, after airing up tires, adjusting helmets, protecting already-scabbed knees, refilling water bottles, assuaging My Little One that I'll be back and will spend one-on-one time with her, and generally having every reason to stop us from cycling together, My Eldest and I defeated them all and actually made it to the bike trail!

Admittedly, I haven't ridden in a while, so my confidence on a bike is shaky, too.  And I never realize how out of shape I'm in until I'm actually in the middle of something rigorous and I want to quit.  We were riding into the wind, uphill.  Yeah, I was feelin' it.  But, I don't want to raise a quitter, so I wasn't going to quit!

Also feeling the challenge of some of the riding conditions, My Eldest would stop every now and again to take a drink of water or just rest.  I would be up ahead of her and I'd hear her holler, "Mom!  Stop!"  or "Mommy, wait up!"  This reminded me of those frustrating tries previously described, but I held my cool about it today.  So, I'd stop or slow down, and wait for her patiently.  After all, I could use the break, too.

Suddenly, she'd zip by me and holler, "C'mon mom!" as if *I* am the one being the caboose..... 

*forehead slap*

Each time, which were many, that was the script.  Instead of being annoyed, which is my natural reaction, I found myself smiling about it today.

:)  I love that girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment