Monday, May 25, 2009

Prayers for Him

My First, My Nephew, is graduating from high school soon. My Mom and I are traveling to Ohio to see him walk the stage later this week and I couldn't be more swollen with pride, joy, anticipation and reminiscence.

I pray and wish for him good things. I pray for him hardships and pain, and the wisdom gained from these trials.  I pray for him humility and moderation. I pray for him his success and happiness found only in God's Will or the Universe or Whatever Exists Bigger Than Us. 

He makes movies. He writes, directs, edits, produces, composes - the whole gamut. Of course, I want him to go to Hollywood and become a kajillionaire making slasher movies because he likes making movies.  But it should come through a combination of his wit, charm, talent and hard work, striving to be a better version of himself along the way; NOT for the fame and fortune and ego-centric platitudes. Along the way, he should trip and skin his knee and bear the scar with pride when he mounts that peak of success in This World. Should he not know when he's at the peak, I pray he trusts that no matter what, he is exactly where he is supposed to be.

May he leave a legacy of truth and respect, of honor and humor. May his life have a lasting effect on humanity, whether it be through mass success, or by the fatherly caressing and responsible nurturing of his future child.

May he always be a man, a gentleman, a gentle man. Hold open doors, pull out chairs, let her enter first into a room. Take her hand when she needs help up, and if she refuses it, never stop offering.

He's a good kid, destined to be a mighty man.

I love you, Nephew!

Happy Graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment