Saturday, May 02, 2009

Weekly Word of the Week + A BONUS Word: Fecundity & Confirmandi

I'm realizing how many words I'm learing from my faith. Funnily enough, I think Catholicism can be more than a religion and way of life -- it can be it's own language! (For example, the ambo is Catholic for the priest's chair on the Altar.)

"Fecund", root of "fecundity", is not what it sounds like. When you read it, did you do like me and sort of associate it with the word "fecal"? (Ewww!)


I was reading this Catholic publication that is printed monthly called the Magnificat. May is the month of Mother Mary (of course since Mother's Day is in May.....).


In the Magnifcat, it lists a litany of Mary-related blessings, one being that God proved the fecundity of Mary by giving her the fruit, Jesus Christ, for the world.

Go check it out...


BONUS WORD: Confirmandi
I was a proud teacher earlier tonight! Every May 1st in my parish is Confirmation. Fifteen of 69 students were mine that received the Sacrament of Confirmation. It's the third in the three Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, First Eucharist and Confirmation). These days, the Sacrament of Confirmation typically occurs in high school age, sometimes even as early as eighth grade. My kids are all in tenth grade.

I was blessed and honored to the sponsor of one of my students who took the name of St. Anthony of Egypt (also known as St. Anthony of the Desert). He is the patron saint of Africa. Julia, Vitus, Therese of Liseux, Sebastian, Andrew, Roch, Elizabeth Ann Seton and several other saints were represented by the kids that I've been teaching over the last three years.

In preparing for Confirmation night, the phrase "Confirmandi" was uttered and, of course, it stuck to me like glue. I have since learned that it's plural for one being confirmed in a religious ceremony.

Nothing like Latin to get the pot brewing....

Now what am I going to do with my Sunday evenings?? (I'm sure I can think of a thing or two...*evil grin*)

No comments:

Post a Comment