Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Sentimental Mental-ness

I can hear her back there pretending. She supposed to be sleeping.

A few moments ago, I walked past her bedroom and she was sitting at the edge of her bed. There, in the closet-light-is-still-on darkness, sat a vivid, curly-headed blonde three year old dressed in sleevless panda stamped jammies, wearing a black, tassel adorned, velvet beret that she obviously fetched out of the dress-up clothes basket in the closet. She sat there, looking a little sad, maybe even lonely, in that black hat. Her sister is already fast asleep, nestled in a cloud-like feather comforter. I wondered in that flash of a second what My Little One could possibly be thinking as she pondered on the edge of the bed.

Tonight, when I arrived home from work, My Little One was adorned in princess-wear. She had a golden tiara, pink laced and bejeweled. She floated around the house in her satin white dress that My Eldest wore as a flower girl in a wedding five years ago. Tiny pink ballet slippers covered My Little One's feet. Sitting upon her nose were the hugest, sparkliest, pinkest, cat eye shaped sunglasses. "We have a play for you, Mommy! Come sit down!" She pulled at my hand after I set down the bag of groceries, my purse and my canvas bag.

My Eldest was dressed like a pirate. She had tied a zebra print bandana 'round her head and wore a typical skull and crossbones pirate's hat.

The imganitions of these two are nothing short of amazing. My family was all royally entertained in a span of three minutes witnessing a full story of a princess wanting to see life outside the castle, sailing the oceans blue, conquering a sea monster and returning home safely. The pirate turned out to be a narrator, and when needed, a devoted princess protector.

Tonight was one of those especially golden moments when I was both so happy and ever sad. These days are numbered and I don't get nearly enough of them. Yet, the ones I *do* get, I treasure! Plus, it's SO RARE to see them GET ALONG together! It made me go back and look at old pictures of my kids. You know what THAT means.... *whisper* tears. Yeah. They came and came and are still coming.

I don't know why God picked ME to be the woman to receive these two exquiste, smart and bubbly children, but I could not be more humbled and thankful....

1 comment: