Sunday, August 24, 2014

Whereby I'm Not A Fan of Klyde Warren Park Anymore



Gosh, I was so excited about the thought of this park, this marvel of a park! Conceptually, I love it. It's gorgeous, well cared for, and really does offer so many activities for all walks of life.

I was working in Uptown while it was being built. The construction was extremely inconvenient, of course, but the payoff seemed well worth it!

This public park is really an .... attraction

There's a dog park, a few concert areas, food trucks, an area designated for playing games and reading books. There's even valet parking (sooooo "Dallas". I've never been to NYC. Does Central Park have valet parking?). 

Then there's a children's area.

"Children's Area" is inviting to a parent, and certainly to a child, but these days, I run for the hills when possible.  Malls with the Play Area, Stadia with their Kids Places and now, splash parks. I was ooged out big-time when we arrived at Klyde Warren children's area only to be told to wait BECAUSE A CHILD HAD POOPED IN THE AREA. 

*gag*

It was over 100 degrees. This was near the steamy, slithery stream that winds around the area. So gross. 

*gag*

This happened over the summer to MLO when she went to Hawaiian Falls Water Park. She came home and told me all the kids had to be evacuated from the "Wave Pool" because there was poop in the water. 

*gag*

Seriously, parents? This truly is on YOU and your kid. It's a shame that any public park, and by association, play areas - with or without water - has to be penalized because you don't keep an eye on your child. Alas, I'm really shying away from allowing my kids to attend these kinds of play areas! Between lice, excrement, strep and general unruly behavior, I am compelled to find alternate play areas. While I recognized accidents happen, it just happened in too many places this last summer for me to feel comfortable any time soon.

+

Klyde Warren Park website


No comments:

Post a Comment