Monday, August 16, 2010

Favorite Words: Reciprocate/Reciprocity

I'm going to take this one and go kinda wonky with it.  You've been warned.   
 
Reciprocate
–verb (used with object)
1. to give, feel, etc., in return.
2. to give and receive reciprocally; interchange: to reciprocate favors.
3. to cause to move alternately backward and forward.
 
–verb (used without object)
4. to make a return, as for something given.
5. to make interchange.
6. to be correspondent.
7. to move alternately backward and forward.

I also like 'reciprocity' (um...NOT the movie...*laughing*). 

Reciprocity
–noun
1. a reciprocal state or relation.
2. reciprocation; mutual exchange.
3. the relation or policy in commercial dealings between countries by which corresponding advantages or privileges are granted by each country to the citizens of the other.
 

There's something about giving back what you've been given, no?

I wouldn't say it's karma or the boomerang theory.  No.  Not at all.

I like the suggestion of equality in the definitions.  So much of my life, including now, I  have felt or sometimes feel somewhat squelched, behind, underrated, incredible, berated, overlooked, undermined, less equal than, invisible.  (Self-esteem issues, much?)  But by engaging in reciprocity, I have value.  I give value.  There's quality added to a relationship or function.  There's substance.  There's matter. 

I matter. 

I have substance. 

I am valuable. 

I exist. 

Now, it's my responsibility AND DESIRE, to make you feel the same way, too.

YOU matter (to me).

YOU have substance (to everyone).

YOU are valuable (to all the world).

YOU EXIST, TOO.

(SEE!  I told you I was gonna go all wonky with it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment