Wednesday, October 06, 2010

WW: MLK

It's (a wee bit past) Wednesday Wickedness.  This one was a toughie for me....  

1. “A lie cannot live.” When was the last time you felt you were forced to lie?

Earlier this year, but it was the twisted thoughts inside my own head.  The only time anyone might be forced to lie is if their life is in jeopardy. 

2. “A man who won't die for something is not fit to live.” What, besides the lives of your family, would you be willing to die for?

Christ.  Country.  Chocolate.  :P

3. “A right delayed is a right denied.” Are there rights or freedoms that you’d give up to be safer?

Sure.  It's all subjective, and none just jump right out in my mind as I write this, but knowing that I'm a pretty fluid person, I'm sure I'd bend in some form or fashion in the name of safety & the betterment of mankind.

4. “All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.” When was the last time that you solved a problem of yours just to create another?

Isn't this what parenting is all about?  And marriage?  And working?  And a faith journey?  They are all a series of problems that lead to another.  It's not like we graduate or get the 'attagirl for a job well done' ever.  We grow and progress, mature and smile, but we are never a problem-free being. 

5. “Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase.” What do you have faith in?

God.  Even when I don't show it, I do.  Even when I'm not sure I do, I try to.  So long as I have that, then the faith in everything else is interwoven.

6. “I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.” Do you believe things in generally will usually win out?

I really had to read this quote about four or five times before I understood it.  I don't typically think in terms of justice, winning and losing, etc., so it's hard to get my head around this, but ultimately, I believe all things - each in their own contexts - happen for a reason.  If the context calls for a win/lose, well, whatever the outcome is is the way it was supposed to be for that moment. 

I probably didn't answer this question "right" but I'm not trying to "win" at anything, so .... *sticks my tongue out at you*... THERE!

7. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” When was the last time that you spoke out to help someone that you didn’t have to?

One thing I've noticed about me is that I'm not much of an advocate.  I'm generally not demonstrative or verbal about an issue that stirs me.  I withhold my opinions or observations because of fear.  I'm not sure of what I am afraid, but if it's something that will cause any sort of confrontation, I hesitate.  What can I say...I'm a luvah not a fightah.

At work, it's a little different.  I speak my opinion more than ever in the work place.  I feel very confident in my ability there, and I feel respected by my peers and those above me.  In terms of helping someone out when it wasn't necessary, well, I suppose most referrals and recommendations would qualify as not needing to speak up but doing it anyway.  This is also true when being honest about someone's less-than-stellar work ethic.

I'm getting better about visiting with teachers and various other folks about issues that arise regarding the care and rearing of my children. As my children grow, I'm finding that I have to be an advocate for them, which does not come naturally to me.  I think there's a lot of room for me to grow in this advocacy role, and I'm ever mindful of it.  I'll get better about it without becoming THAT mom.

8. “It is not enough to say we must not wage war. It is necessary to love peace and sacrifice for it.” Do you envision a time where the United States will not be at war? Why?

If this question is referring to the United States fighting on foreign soil, yes, I can envision this.  But, because of the threats to our country that exist today versus when Dr. King was alive, I don't think there will be a time when turmoil won't exist domestically or abroad.  There will always be hungry mouths to feed, people to educate, homeless to home, indigent to bolster, waters to keep clean, morality to protect, pop culture to streamline.

Furthermore, there will be those around the world still angry, provoking the U.S. into some form of combat based on their perceived reasons.  Attacks will abound.  War will exist and the U.S. will be affected in one way or another based on the sheer foundation on which this country was built.  We are one country with a global impact.  It's both good and bad.  It's both needed and abhored.  It's both right and wrong.  It's both a blessing and cross to carry.  It's both greedy and selfless.  We are a polarizing nation, even inside our own borders.

In the strict context of when America will warring as we did in WWI or WWII, I can image at time of that not existing. 

9. “Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness.” Is there anything that you are bitter about that you cannot get over?

There are many things I "can't get over", but I'm not bitter about them.  I detest that cancer exists.  I can't change it.  I abhor that smoking is allowed, but I cannot change it.  I am disgusted by most politics, but I can't change it.  I can only accept and change my behavior in the contexts of each of them. 

When I reflect on "bitterness", some images and descriptives come to mind.  One, for example, is the human nature of i -- y'know, the disposition of a person.  What I mean is, if I have a hopeful attitude, bitterness will not bear fruit.  If my choice is to be accepting and make the best of a situation, the bitterness won't stay long.

So many people are critical and judgemental (again, human nature), and they would feel so much more freedom and peace if they would surrender it.  It's a control freak issue to some degree.  People need to be defined and where do we find that definition?  In the structure of our society.  Esteem exists because of workplace advancement, income, pedigree, higher education.  All of these are man-made institutions and heirarchies, seen and unseen, tangible and intangible, in which we all function and elevate.  Finding the balance of being good by societal standards and being good by God's standards is a difficult line to walk.

My unsolicited advice is this:  Just love.  Reach in and find it, then pull it out and let it flow freely, especially at the times you feel the most bitter.  You will find the sweetness envelop you. 

10. “Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” Do you take chances by speaking up even when it could cost you something?

Recently, one of my ACTS sisters invited some of the other ACTS sisters to support her team in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure (to end breast cancer).  One sisters in particularly bravely replied to all of us with special information.

She shares the desire to end breast cancer, yet she cannot support the Komen cause because of its affiliation with Planned Parenthood.

As you know, Catholics are pro-life, which means zero tolerance on abortions and birth control, among other things.  Planned Parenthood performs abortions, supplies contraceptives and sends lot of funds to the Komen cause.  The Komen cause supports Planned Parenthood.  This sister who pointed out the relationship between SGK and PP specifically with a carefully worded response that expressed that she is telling all of us this information from a place of love and she hoped that by responding with that information, she knew she was risking losing love and esteem by each of us.

I was most impressed with her well-worded and passionate response.  
 
Isn't this what Jesus's life was all about?  Isn't this the core of His ministry?  Do the Father's will, even if that means you have to die for it. This is why we have martyrs.

I hope that I can be the kind of person who has strength, wisdom, courage and compassion.  (It kind of ties into that advocacy stuff from Question 7.)

+

And on that note, lovies, I will go rest.  Blessings!  And thank God for the legacy of MLK.

1 comment: