Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day: Climate Change

I considered taking the easy way out by just creating a hyperlink to my previous green blog, but decided I should be more committed to the intent of the day.  I have been tempted to use sarcasm and poke fun at the intent, too, but that wouldn't be very classy or supportive.  After all, climate change IS an important issue.  Admittedly, I don't undertand it much.  I hear snippets and read blurbs about global warming, gleen some stats here and there, furrow my brow at scientific blabbityblah.  The whole thing truthfully gives me tired-head. 

BUT....

I *have* been going through quite an awareness heightening....

....we live in SUCH a wasteful world, especially here in the States.  It's the land of OVERFLOWING milk & honey.  The food we waste, the packaging of the food is wasteful.  Stop and think about it.  How much crap do you throw out?  My daughter's school sends home all kinds of paper and 99% goes right into the recycling -- then at the end of the school year, it all gets pitched.  With all this email and other technology, you seriously have to send me all these newletters and reminders and permission slips and flyers and, and, and ON PAPER?  Oy!  Food and school papers are only two examples of the severe amount of waste.  You know as well as I do how many other things get wasted.  Let's not even start on styrofoam.  Ugh.

I'm not someone who is willing to die for saving the Earth.  I alone cannot save the Earth.  I alone cannot control global warming (a source of contention).  I alone cannot effectuate mass change to control emissions.  There are many things environmentally related that I cannot do alone.  What I CAN do, is act responsibly.  I can keep my life as clean as possible.  It's not my job to infringe my habits on others.  It's not my job to witness to my neighbor about how abusive he or she is being -- about how careless and disrespectful.  No.  That's not my job.  My job is to live MY life to the best of my ability and strive to be better.

Better....

That's a toughie for a girl who gets tired-head about climate change. 

So, I think for now, I'll sit and absorb.  Observe.  Listen.  Then I'll act.  I need to learn more, but I'm not going to die for what I find out.  That's someone else's job.

No comments:

Post a Comment