Thursday, May 22, 2008

AJC

I volunteer twice a year for the Dallas Chapter of the American Jewish Congress. This organization, as best I can tell is highly political, as well as extremely humanitarian. They embrace inter-faith opportunities and also seek out opportunities by which the Jewish cause may be advanced at a grass-roots level.

In addition to their function in society, AJC has award ceremonies. One is called "Women of Spirit" and the other is entitled "Torch of Consciousness". Tonight, I drove to downtown Dallas (I never get tired of the skyline!) to the Women's Museum at Fair Park for the ceremony. I basically smile, make small talk, hand out or collect name tags, direct guests to the restrooms or the refreshments, their table assignments and such. I think this must be my third or fourth year doing this, so now I'm seeing familiar faces. I don't think any of them remember me, which is just fine.

The women being honored this year, as in all years, cover a wide strata of society. Five women received the award: (1) A Mexican immigrant city council member (who is a practicing dentist AND Mayor Pro Temp), (2) a founder of the Women of Spirit awards, (3) a woman who is a leader and advocate for the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community, (4) a woman who manages a homeless shelter here in Dallas, and finally, (5) a woman who heightens awareness of the horror of racism that sadly still exists and then fights to break down those barriers.

As the organization's name surely suggests, most of the attendees are Jewish. These folks are the ones I am talking about when I say above that I'm beginning to see some familiar faces. The same group of people show up. And hey are so nice, so generous, so appreciative. I volunteer with My Husband's aunt and her daughter, which makes it all very fun. We get some fabby food (the first time I ever ate hummus was at an AJC function), free liquor, a stunning setting, as well as being elbow to elbow with some of the Dallas elite. The mayor made an appearance, many judges and other city council members current and past, mayors of some of the surrounding cities, the city manager, our sherriff, the founder of Dallas's Holocaust Museum, and many more interesting people.

I know this sounds silly but for a few hours I feel so different. My real life is NOT this life. A life of being a socialite, recognized in the community or the world for that matter. My life isn't the political hotbed of discussions that go on at this event. Listening in, there was discussion about the goings on in the Middle East, tthe Palestinian movement, grant money to finance future honorees educational trips to Israel....you get the idea. High powered!

Plus, watching the Jewish community interact with one another reminds me a bit of how black people interact with one another and why I want to be black. They truly already know each other and if they don't know each other personally it isn't long before they do because "so-and-so is the attorney for my cousins divorce who photographed your library donation event. Oh yeah! I know you!" And voila! Not strangers anymore. It makes me want to be Jewish.

There invariably is a person (typically female) from AJC who kind of volunteers with us but really is more interesting in re-establishing her presence with everyone. She reminded several folks about "when I photograhed your event". She supposedly has a couple of famous author relatives, one being the creator of Lambchop (if I understood her correctly) and the other is the most prolific writer of Jews in the Southern U.S. -- historian type. She went on and on about who she knew and blah blah blah. I got such a kick out of watching her. Her shoes were too big, her pants too long and baggy (and shiny), her shirt was too long in the sleeves and she wore this gawdy wide faux-leather belt with a big bow on the side of her waist. At one point, I turned to the other two and asked if it was just me "or does she look like a little kid trying on her mom's clothes?" haha She tried very hard to be interested in me and my life but kept 'getting distracted' to schmooze with acquaintances.

Her: So are you married?
Me: Yes! Yes I am.
Her: And where is HE tonight?
Me: He's at ho.....
Her: Oh my goodness! There's Mayor Leppert. Hi Mayor Leppert. Remember me? I'm the woman who always calls the early meetings!! Remember? (meanwhile the Mayor is giving the courtsey nod/smile and backing up toward the exit)

She does not pick our conversation back up. *Shrug*

Anyway, it's fun. I've been to The Hotel Intercontinental, the Baron House (a.k.a the House that Asbestos Built -- the owner of the home is the lawyer who busted open the danger of asbestos and of course is massively rich. Tons of pictures around their house of him and his wife with very *ahem* Presidental Presidents and other Congressional Congressmen intermingled with some amazing art from around the world), and now, the Women's Museum which I understand has a kick-ass Wonder Woman exhibit. Now I will have to take a trip back just to see that exhibit. :)

Shalom.

1 comment:

  1. Baruch ata Adonai, Eloheinu Melech Ha’olam
    Blessed are you, God(Adonai/Hashem,) Ruler of the Universe...and you, Jackie, for being a good Christian.

    ReplyDelete