Saturday, March 15, 2008

Alabama -- Roll Tide Roll!

So....I worked a little late on Thursday because I arrived late for one, and because I was going to be out of pocket most of the day on Friday. I'm about to leave, when I decide to check my email right quick-like.

There's a notice from classmates dot com that I have mail in my inbox there.

*perk*

*quickly enters the website and checks my inbox*

Okay. Remember: I'm a military brat. And, um, military brats aren't known for keeping friendships because we've moved around so much; especially the earlier ones from grade school! My best friend in Virginia is the earliest "in my life friend I've stayed in touch with", and she and I met in seventh grade. We are still close to this day, even through all the separation then and now.

In Alabama, like many of my dad's stations as I recall, we either lived on base and I went to school off base, or we lived off base and I attended the neighborhood school. In Alabama, the latter applies. Not sure why I felt compelled to type that, but there ya go. :) JM, as I recall, wasn't a military kid, and it appears he graduated high school at the neighborhood school that the elementary feeds into. Perhaps me being a fly-by is why JM remembered me -- because I was a military brat and wasn't there very long.... Or, the letter might've triggered something.

Jackie's Memories of Jackie by Jackie in Jackie's Sixth Grade Year......

*tap* *tap* *tap*

*think, think, think*

Hmmm....weeeeelllll, when I was in sixth grade, I was miserable. I have very sad memories of my sixth grade year. Our family lived in Alabama for only six months. Those six months were the beginning of my sixth grade year. Then we relocated to Ft. Bliss, Texas (El Paso) half way through that school year. Anyway, my parents fought a lot. My brother didn't seem happy (he seemed to have more trouble adjusting to our moves, plus he was a full-on teenager by this time). We relocated from Hawaii, so the cultural differenences seemed so drastic. Also, about this time, I was becoming self-aware, particularly about my body. My mother enrolled me in cheerleading and softball, both of which I enjoyed, both which I felt like a total misfit. I was bigger than the other girls....as in FATTER. And some of the girls made fun of me. I'm not scarred for life as a result of those six months, and even though I have very few memories of my childhood of actual events, I do have a sharp recollection of how I felt during certain times. I felt incredibly out of place in Alabama my entire time there.

My handful of memories about BAMA are: seeing a red paw print everywhere, the red clay, running a lot for softball, unhappy family life, my first 'C' on my report card (I was sooo scared to go home that day!) and humidity.. I don't remember having any friends at all. I can name some friends I made along the way, even prior to the sixth grade, but I'm unable to recall even one from Alabama. I remember a couple of crushes I had. But the names are there without the face or vice versa.

It's quite odd to me to have feelings but not images.

Now, with that all being said, I was so amazingly shocked when I got an email from a guy that remembered me in that lonely, sad time of life. And, unexpectly, a gift arrives in my lap:

I just had to say hello. I hope you remember me from Mr. R's 6th grade class at [our] Elementary [school in Alabama]. I lost touch with you when you moved to El Paso but I still have your letter that I actually found just the other day as a matter of fact. My dad had me go through some of my old stuff and I happened to stumble upon it. Anyway, thought I would say hello. JH from our class ended up back here as well. I ran into him at a soccer game. Anyway, I'm glad you are doing well and your kids are beautiful. Take care and drop me a line sometime. I would love to catch up.

P.S. I lived in El Paso for four years. Fort Bliss was my last duty station.


How FUN is THIS?!

My first reaction: Letter?! I wrote you a letter?! What is in that letter?! I wanna see the letter!! It's evidence of something that surely must be destroyed!!!

My second reaction: Who *is* RM? I cleared off the cobwebs (quite the chore!) and check out his pictures on line and YES! There he is!! I *do* remember him!! (Because we all know how horrible it is when someone remembers you but you don't remember them...yeah...THAT feeling was swelling up in my belly.)

Subsequently, I began swimming in memories of "JH" he mentioned (who is one of those crushes I recalled), of our home in Alabama (lots of lawn to mow!), and even began daydreaming about how my life might have been so different had I graduated high school there.

I immediately write him back at his personal email address he left for me, and heard back again from him today. I have talked and talked about this beautiful work of God for the last three days. I am so taken aback! I am almost speechless (though not wordless as you can tell) as a result of this. RM says he's going to scan the letter and send it to me. OMG I will feel like a giddy 12 year old again, I just KNOW it!

Anyway, RM, if/when you read this, thank you. Thank you for making my day, my weekend. Thank you for keeping that letter, and then after all this time, acting on what you found!! Thank your dad for me, please. I cannot tell you how moved I am. (And it's rare that a guy reaches out a girl like this, isn't it? I mean, chicks seem to do it more often, no?)

Y'know....my life is great. As much as I struggle with my motherhood, my daughterhood, my work; as much turmoil as I have endured and the monkeys (monkies?) on my back....I feel good today. I look back at the big picture of my life, and admire the details. I snuggle in a big recliner, a glass of wine in my head. My eyes peer through my glasses, my hair swept off my face so that I can take a good, hard look at my painting which is l - i - f - e, and I SMILE.

There is no better artist than My God. And thank YOU, God, for bring me and RM together in this wild, wacky world you've made for us.

~Swoosh!

No comments:

Post a Comment