Saturday, May 05, 2007

Tamed and Caged

I'm very blessed to have the job I do. I mean, since I have to work, I probably could not get a better deal than this! My company is a fun, energetic environment; we work hard and play hard. I'm more of the work hard type, and rarely do I play hard (meaning drinking/afterparty kind of stuff) because of my family. I like to get home and spend time with my husband and kids and take care of domestics. Of course, any of you who know me personally also konw that I've got a fun, social streak in me that needs to be let out on occassion.


Enter Occasion : Yesterday, my company had it's annual Sand Volleyball Tournament. Our entire company participates. We take half the day off and go out and get dirty, allowing sand to penetrate places that only sand can. Lunch was served around 11:30, games start around 12:30-1:00.


This last week, we had some pretty wicked weather 'round here. Love those Texas thunderstorms!! Suffice it to say the sand was not sand -- it was more, ohhh, how should I describe it? Mud? Slush? Well, I think you get the idea. It was very good for sloughing dead skin off of your feet. It also made for some good 'sacrifice your body for the team' mud spots on the clothes. Case in point: as the first game began, I look up into the partly sunny sky wearing my UT cap and sunglasses calculating where the volleyball is going to land so that I can set up my bump, and well, I fell backwards flat on my back and ass -- in the slushy mud sand. Niiiiiice! I look like I sh** my britches. And not just a little bit.


The game must go on. We lose our first game, adeptly scoring zero points against the other team. Yay Lone Star Diggers (my team name)! Now we get to advance to the Losers Bracket Tourney. Whoo Hoo!! Hey - at least we had cute shirts!


In the Losers Tourney, we play two games -- losing the 2nd one. Elimination. Drinking time! Keep in mind, it's only 2:00 by now, if even that!

So, I find a friend or two to sit poolside with sipping our adult beverages. We dip our warm sandy feet into the cold water to cool down because by now, the overcast day is breaking up and it's starting to get humid. The three or four of us start talking about work stuff then not-work stuff. It's funny when we are all out the things that get discussed. How revealing these 'teambuilding' events can be.
Mind you, I'm not much to drink heavily at company events. I might have a couple of glasses of wine at the holiday party, or a drink or two at the bowling tournament, but to get all out drunk -- yeah, that's not me. I don't know if it was the sun or what, but yesterday, I got pretty drunk. Uh-oh.
Yeah, I had -- let me think -- one, two, three, six -- crown & sevens, two shots called royal f*ck, and a few sips of friend's beers, oh yeah! and two Long Island Iced Teas. Yummy!

Needless to say, I had to sober up. So I sit at the club till 8 p.m., chugging water after water, allowing time to sober me up some. I watched a couple of the guys from work play darts and talk trash to one another. I do manage to sit my buzz out and feel able to drive home safely. I begin to say my good-byes just as some of the other supersillydrunkouttatheirmind girls I work with (who were coincidentally on my volleyball team) come over to me loving on me telling me they want me to come to a bachelorette party next week. Guess I made a good impression. :)

As much as I'd like to go to the bachelorette party, I think this fun, social woman needs to be tamed put back in the cage till some TBD point in the future. :)

1 comment:

  1. You have official been tagged A-to Z! molested huh? do I get details.

    ReplyDelete