Friday, March 06, 2015

Read: Jackie After O


Second book read this year: Jackie After O by Tina Cassidy.

Jackie O is a timelessly intriguing figure, similar to Marilyn Monroe. I was drawn to this book because I wanted to validate my suppositions about her: a strong, smart woman known for her independence and perseverance. I wondered if this book would enlighten the public about some intimate details the public didn't already know. Of course, bear in mind, my definition of the "the public" and "didn't already know" is very narrow. I was alive when Kennedy got shot, and I'm certainly not a historian. Most of my knowledge was based in what I've heard and see about her in the context of her first husband. 

But I didn't know much about her and her second marriage. Basically I knew she remarried, avowed to one of the richest Greek shipping magnates. That's about it. 

As a mom, I wondered how her relationship with her kids was affected by this marriage. As a dreamer of travelling, I wondered if Jackie's life became one of globetrotting philanthropy between extended voyages aboard the Christina. I wondered if she spent her days sun bathing and reading, socializing. 

I learned a LOT about Jackie Onassis while reading this biography. I highly recommend it. It's not all about her as a widow of JFK. I found myself separating Jackie from "the JFK incident" and seeing her as HER.

Give it read. Feel free to leave some feedback if you do.




No comments:

Post a Comment