Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A Tip for Ash Wednesday in Downtown Dallas

I started a new job in belly of downtown Dallas. I am still learning my way around, taking walks, foraging for food. In my wanderings, I found a Catholic church that isn't the Cathedral: St. Jude's Chapel.

St. Jude's Chapel has four Masses on Ash Wednesday: 11 a.m., 11:40 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 5:10 p.m. (Call ahead to make sure these haven't changed year to year.)

If you are Catholic and work (or are otherwise in the area) in downtown Dallas, and you want to attend Ash Wednesday Mass to receive your ashes during your lunch hour, I highly encourage you to attend the 11 a.m. Mass! It was fuller than usual (daily  mass), but there were still a handful places to sit. After Mass, ushers routed foot traffic from inside the church through one of the two sets of doors. They had people lining up outside the other set of doors before allowing them entrance.

I wormed my way through the aisles, eventually trekking my way back to the office.  I had to cut through a line of people waiting to get inside the church that was about ONE BLOCK LONG and growing!  I really don't know how all those people will inside that little church, but I'm sure the ushers know what to do! I left feeling glad I attended the 11:00 Mass. :)

Anyway, my advice is clear: Go to the 11:00 Mass (and save me a seat if all y'all start going then too)!

Happy Lent!

+

Addendum: A co-worker said at the last minute, a 1:00 p.m. Mass was added to the schedule and it wasn't nearly as packed as 11:40 and 12:30.

Ash on, brothers & sisters!

No comments:

Post a Comment