Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thank You Notes for Job Interviews


I'm sitting at lunch right now, unemployed, reading LinkedIn articles. I see one about sending 'Thank You" notes to a potential employer after interviewing.

And I roll my eyes.

Big time.

My husband, also unemployed, recently wrote a "Thank You" note to a potential employer. Having just interviewed somewhere myself, he asked me, "Did you write your 'Thank You' note yet? I have one..." as he hands me a blank card. 

Refusing to accept the card, I replied, "No. I don't do that."

He then said, "You must not want a job then!"

I was pretty upset by his comment and the assumption that I won't have a job somewhere because I didn't send a handwritten "Thank You" card. Evs.

*eyeroll*

Needless to say, this conversation has stayed with me for a few weeks now. I'm not upset at him, per se, but upset at the gesture and expectation as a whole. I clearly need to reconcile this angst.

+

Let me preface the following paragraphs with these thoughts: if you're a regular reader of my blog, if you know me "IRL", you know that I value gratitude immensely. I believe in saying "thank you" for good things AND the "bad" things (remember, I believe all bad things spawn a bigger good thing). I also LOVE and ADORE a great hand-written note or letter. I teach my kids to write thank you cards to friends and family who live out of town that have sent gifts for holidays, birthdays, illnesses, etc.

Now, having been on the hiring side of the workforce, I found NO value in receiving these handwritten "Thank You" notes. Not one have I received did I sit back in my chair and say to myself, "now THIS is the reason I should hire a person!". Alternately, never did I reflect on time spent interviewing a candidate did I say, "that person better send me a 'Thank You' note or all bets're off!".

I'm really curious to know how many employers ACTUALLY give this gesture any real thought and allow it to influence a call back or extending an offer? This is a serious question, so feel free to leave a comment!

+

Dear Future Employer

1 - Please do not expect me to send you a "Thank You" note, unless you are going to send me one too. After all, we are in a partnership. You do not lord over me, nor do I lord over you. We are in an agreement. Just because you are in the hiring position, does not make your time and talent any more valuable than mine. 

2 - If you DO expect me to send you a "Thank You" note, you'll be disappointed.  I hope, and would like to think that, after spending time with me, reviewing my QUALIFICATIONS and having the face-to-face (or phone-to-phone) interaction is what ACTUALLY attracts you to wanting to hire me. I don't want to be judged and hired on my ability to write "Thank You" on a piece of paper.

3 - When gratitude really counts, and when it will mean more to me AND you is *drum roll* ON THE JOB! Tell me when you appreciate my work and time and talent. Tell me you appreciate my attitude, teamwork, jokes, the way I bring challenges to their knees. In the spirit of reciprocity and just general kindness, I will do the same to and for you as well as my peers. It's a healthy practice and lifestyle to live - personally and professionally.

4 - If you do not hire me because I didn't write a note, I won't take it personally.

+

Forgive my arrogance, but assume my gratitude.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment