Thursday, December 19, 2013

Elf on the Shelf - A Tongue-In-Cheek Post




A friend of mine posted this picture on her Facebook page this morning. I don't know from where it originated, otherwise I'd give due credit. It's brilliant!
I don't understand the fascination with Elf on the Shelf. I hadn't even heard of it until about five or six years ago, but apparently it's been around for eons. I guess I was such a good child that my mom and dad didn't need to coax me to behave, and I'm raising such good kids that I don't need to trick them to stay on Santa's Nice List. :P 
I almost think this is become more about the parents than the kids, meaning, the creative process of how to change the Elf every night -- where to put him or her. I've seen hanging from the chandelier Spidey-style Elf, reading books to Barbie & friends under the Christmas tree Elf, cooking Elf, and various others. You grown-ups are very creative!
And thanks to all of you Shelved Elves Enablers, My Little One is feeling left out. She keeps asking me how come we don't have an Elf on the Shelf. I keep telling her it's because I shouldn't have to trick her into being a good girl, or I'll use the scare tactic of "isn't it creepy to have a tiny elf trolling around our house while you sleep, getting into things and then freezing when you look at it the next day, acting as if nothing's abnormal about it being in our house and then becoming inanimate when you look at it?" *laughing* Having Santa come one night versus having Santa's elf roaming around our house for a whole month isn't so bad now, is it, you nay-sayers of "lying to your kids about Santa".
Now, those of you reading this who use Elfin Magic, I'm not judging you. This isn't an indictment of your parenting skills, nor is it an indictment of your child's behavior. I'm totally fine with you using it and if it works for y'all -- more power to ya! I'm so busy at this time of year especially, that keeping up with an elf is one less (or shall I say 25 less) thing(s) to do. So, again, it's all about me. #selfish
Merry Christmas, y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment