Monday, October 28, 2013

Insight


Boa and I were headed to Mass yesterday. She's applying her makeup, blending liquid foundation, studying her movements and placement in the tiny visor mirror.  We stop at a red light or two and she applies her gray eyeliner across the top lid with delicate care. She turns to me, showing me those gorgeous caramel colored eyes she has and says, "I'm getting pretty good at this."

I chuckle.

"Yes, you are! The more you do it, the better you get, and the more you'll experiment."

She turns her attention back into the mirror, unscrewing the mascara lid and applicator from the Maybelline tube and begins to paint her exquisitely already-naturally-long lashes.

"Anna says makeup is made just to make you feel bad."

"Awww," I bitterly retort.

There was a pregnant pause.

"You know," I begin, "that's pretty insightful."

"Yeah," Boa calmly said, still lengthening the long lashes, "she's pretty deep like that."

+

While I don't agree that the original design of makeup was to make a person feel bad; in fact, I think quite the opposite, I can certainly see how a woman would have that thought. I am impressed by Anna's maturity and depth. I appreciate the friendship Boa is developing with her.....just need to meet this girl now. :)

Often times, MLO will ask me why I even wear make up. Why do I have to wear it to work? It's a difficult question to answer. It's hard to say, "baby, just be natural. You're so beautiful the way you are!" and then have them plugged into a society where external beauty is valued.

Living in duality....such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment