Monday, April 08, 2013

Mama's Beans

I posted on facebook the following status update earlier this evening:
"Can youuuu SMELL what my CROCK iiiis coooookiiiiiinnnnn??"


If you know who The Rock is, you'll appreciate the twist on his famous "Can you smell what The Rock is cookin'??!!". (Dwayne Johnson is so delicious. Sorry -- sidebar.)

My house smelled AWESOME when I walked in. I cooked some cornbread from scratch and threw some steaks into the oven. Topped off my meal with chilled clementines. Mmm Mmmm MMM!

So a few of my friends asked me to post the recipe. For them and for you, here it is:

1 pound pinto beans
2 cased links chorizo
1 whole small onion
1 clove garlic
Chili powder to your liking
Fiesta Fajita Seasoning to your liking
1/2 tsp oregano
Big pinch of cumin
Salt to your liking
1-2 shakes of Season All

Rinse the beans and place in the slower cooker.

Add enough water to just cover the beans; about 3 cups.

Turn cooker on high and bring the beans to a boil.  Boil 5 minutes.

Shut cooker off and let the beans soak for 1 hour.

Pour off water.

Re-fill pot with water, or half water mixed with half beef broth.

Add all ingredients and turn the cooker on low. Let cook all day (or overnight).

Watch and stir often.

Alternatives: I've added Rotel to add a bit of a kick.  I've also used vegetable broth instead of beef broth. Lastly, you can cook the beans on a higher temperature, just watch them closely! If you're vegetarian, I'm sure there's a worthy chorizo substitute. If you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment!

+

Thanks, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment