Friday, February 15, 2013

Not An Ordinary Valentine's Day

With My Mom undergoing diagnostic testing for cancer in her bones and brain, today, she had a CT scan of the brain. (We hope to know something by Monday.) Today isn't just Thursday. It's not just another doctor's appointment. It's Valentine's Day. And it's cancer.  So, definitely not an ordinary Valentine's Day.  Please keep My Mom in your prayers.

+

A few years ago, I started a Valentine's Day family tradition. I ordered Chinese food delivery, and broke out the Lenox china and fine crystal goblets. We lit the candles, turned out the lights. I had placed a heart-print tablecloth on our dining room table and that's how and what we ate:  Chinese food on fancy plates, juice in crystal goblets, cloth napkins, by candlelight.

My Valentine's Day Table

I've kept with the ambiance part and the dishes part, but not the food part.  This year, I ran out of time and was a bit sad that maybe we'll just have sandwiches. Then I remembered when I was a kid, My Mom made us peanut butter and marshmallow crème sandwiches.  I decided to stop by the grocery store and buy some marshmallow crème so we can have these crazy sandwiches on fancy china plates.  I had berries and other fruit at home already, which would make for an offsetting healthy option.  While at the store, I bought Promised Land chocolate milk to fill the goblets.

Sounds fun, right?

My car wouldn't start.

I sat in the parking lot of Tom Thumb, waiting. I made a few phone calls, brainstormed, pouted, and prayed. I exhaled - a lotlot. About half an hour passed, and I give the keys a turn and VOILA! Music to my ears!

Marshmallow and crème sammies on Lenox IS going to happen after all! I "lit" the flameless candles - vanilla scented - faaaaaancyyyy, right?

We sat there digesting our silly Valentine's Day dinner and drinks, digesting our day. And although it didn't go as planned, I suspect the memory will be more impactful because of the success in spite of the challenge. Yes, a good day, indeed.

+

And then there's this:  Gordon Keith's opening the window of the intimacy of love, the unspokenness of what all of us long for....  Thanks, Gordon.

No comments:

Post a Comment