Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Twenty One Number Ones

On 1310 AM The Ticket today, The Hardline (evenings 3-7) was reviewing Corby's list of songs that were number one on the U.S. music charts from his birthday through age 21.  Danny reviewed his last week (I missed it), and next up is The Old Gray Wolf himself, Mike.

Inspired by the segment, I decided to post *my* list of songs that were number one on the U.S. music charts from January 27, 1971 until my 21st birthday in 1992.

Being born in the 70's will make some interesting findings, I'm sure. The decade was hippie-laden and disco funky. I came of age in the 80's. Though I'm not much of a traditional 80's music fan, I'm sure to get a giggle or seven from the list. I turned 21 in the early 90's and was sort of out of the music scene by then, too wrapped up in a new nephew, my boyfriend, college and other silly stuff.

71:  Knock Three Times ~ Tony Orlando & Dawn
72:  American Pie ~ Don McLean
73:  Superstition ~ Stevie Wonder
74:  The Way We Were ~ Barbara Streisand
75:  Laughter In The Rain ~ Neil Diamond
76:  Love Rollercoaster ~ Ohio Players
77:  Car Wash ~ Rose Royce
78:  Baby Come Back ~ Player
79:  Le Freak ~ Chic
80:  Rock With You ~ Michael Jackson
81:  The Tide Is High ~ Blondie
82:  I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) ~ Hall & Oates
83:  Down Under ~ Men At Work
84:  Owner Of A Lonely Heart ~ Yes
85:  I Want To Know What Love Is ~ Foreigner
86:  That's What Friends Are For ~ Dionne & Friends
87:  At This Moment ~ Billy Barrett & The Beaters
88:  Need You Tonight ~ INXS
89:  Two Hearts ~ Phil Collins (*year I graduated high school. My class song was "Forever Young by Rod Stewart. #jackietrivia)
90:  How Am I Supposed To Live Without You ~ Michael Bolton
91:  The First Time ~ Surface
92:  Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me ~ Elton John & George Michael

Well, well, well....all in all, I'd say January 27th folks fared very well in music! Throw out the hoaky song of 1990, overall, the list is decent. 

Accounting for inflation and depreciation, amortized over 35 years, anyone else see the giggle in the fact that a group called "Player" sang a song called "Baby Come Back"? (1978)

The songs I'd never heard (of) until compiling this list:

* Laughter In The Rain:  Now that I've listened to the song, I realize I HAVE heard the song! I love the interwebs!


* Love Rollercoaster (had to post it for Wolfman Jack greatness!). Now that I've listened to the song, I realize I HAVE heard the song (redux)! I can tell you with 1000% certainty I didn't know until *this blog post* that the superhighpitched part, those dudes are saying "rollahcoastah". Wow. I feel very, very whitegirl, yet so enlightened (no pun intended).


* The First Time: Now that I've listened to the song, I realize I HAVE heard the song (redoux)! What a way to end my list! NOT a fan of this song. No wonder I checked out of music in the early 90's.....


Sadly, no Duran Duran. My favorite band, a band Of The Eighties, not on my list. I'm rather sad about this..... Not even one!#seewhatididthere

I'm going to go look up my family's as well as mine for the UK Charts. I'm interested in comparing the U.S. to the U.K. list & I'll be sure to share it with you.

Go do yours and share your results!

~WHOOSH

1 comment:

  1. Best song is probably between Superstition and I wanna know what love is. Who in the heck is Billy Barrett and the Beaters?

    ReplyDelete