Monday, July 04, 2011

Church "World" Tour: Christ The King ~ University Park

What a stunning piece of carved architecture this church has! Also, the sanctuary is nothing short of magnificent! GORGEOUS church! Christ The King in University Park (CTK) tickled many parts of my visual fancy. 

As you can see by my picture on the right, taken at the main entrance, one feels verrrrry small immediately! My camera equipment is incomplete for I could not fit the entirety of this entrance in my frame.

The previous two weeks, before each Mass, a lector would invite the congregation to reach over and greet our neighbor.  I have to admit, I really do love this idea and practice, and wish my home parish did this! At CTK, there was no greeting before Mass, so, in a way, it was "business as usual".

The homily centered around the Virtue of Humility, which was translated and expounded upon as the knowledge of self. It was quite a delightful homily about something that's difficult to be and do.  I was reminded of how easy it is to get wrapped up in the physical world, and how I'm tempted to use the physical temptations of this world to elevate myself or validate myself in unhealthy or mis-guided ways. As a mother, the them of teaching my daughters to dress and act modestly, was re-affirmed. I have not heard a homily like this that I can recall (and if I have, clearly the message wasn't received!).

There was no choir, only a cantor and a small group of folks playing traditional instruments.  There was a song sung, "O Breathe On Me, O Breath of God", where the second verse echoed the homily beautifully (the whole song did but the second verse was the home-run!):

Breathe on me, Breath of God, 
until my heart is pure, 
until with thee I will one will, 
to do and to endure.

Veronica Wipes The Face of Jesus at CTK
Stained Glass Doors Greeting A Parishoner at CTK

 
Mary Shrine at CTK
All Kings Shall Adore Him..... (entrance CTK)

...Nations Shall Serve Him (entrance CTK)
Next week:  St. Ann's in Coppell!
 
~Whoosh 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment