Wednesday, December 15, 2010

WW: Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins!)



Today we picked Julie Andrews. Here's Wednesday Wickedness!

1. “All love shifts and changes. I don't know if you can be wholeheartedly in love all the time.”
Have ever felt that you’ve been in love with someone constantly over a long period of time?

I believe you can be wholehearted in love all the time, but it might not be with the same person.  I agree that love shifts and changes -- as it should -- after all, people shift and change.  The constant:  GOD.  God is love and love is God.   On that you can rely.

2. “I am an optimistic lady.”
How optimistic are you?
I'm fairly optimistic.  It's hard for me to be around negative energy.  Avoiding negative energy included not watching the news, reading the news, being around people who are cynical, judgmental, pessimistic, critical.

It would be fair to say that I keep my head in the sand.  Someone once told me that if I do that, I should be prepared to have my ass lit on fire.  I will take my chances....

3. “I don't think today's younger audience... would even know what 1920s musicals were like.”
Do you have any knowledge of 1920 films or musicals? If yes, any favorites?

Admittedly, I don't.  I suppose I know of some silent films, but not musicals.  (It's nice to be in the "today's younger audience" group!)

4. “I hate the word wholesome.”
Play word association. I say “wholesome” and you say:

Goody-two-shoes

5. “I have always wished I could learn to be a potter. I love collecting ceramics; it would be so fulfilling to create something lovely.”
What have you always wished that you could be?

A sports photographer (a.k.a trust fund baby? HA!)

6. “Perseverance is failing 19 times and succeeding the 20th.”
Tell us about something that you had to persevere through.

I'm not entirely certain that I've perservered anything yet.

7. “Some people regard discipline as a chore. For me, it is a kind of order that sets me free to fly.”
How do you define your self discipline?

Shaky at best.  I admire people who can be driven, ambitious and stay the course.  I admire those who are strongly convicted and have the discipline in which to stay strongly rooted.

Julie Andrews has found the paradox of freedom in "chains".   There are times in my life where I can see that I experienced the same.  For example, entering into Overeaters Anonymous and practicing the twelve steps was so freeing.  The tools and practices that were encouraged were extremely burden-lifting.  I squirm in pain at the simple choice of what to have for breakfast each day when I'm NOT in program, whereas, if I've given it fore-thought and committed it to a sponsor, I can wallow in freedom and just relax, stay the course and see the light at the end of the (never-ending) tunnel.

8. “Sometimes opportunities float right past your nose. Work hard, apply yourself, and be ready. When an opportunity comes you can grab it.”
Have you ever missed a golden opportunity?

Oh sure.  Of course.  But I didn't think of it like that until it passed.

There have been a few times, when presented with a choice to do or not to do, to go or not to go, I've thought "I should do this", but I trust the process.  If it's an opportunity that was golden, and it passed, it wasn't meant for me at that time anyway.  Plus, I try not to dwell on the past too much.

9. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun. You find the fun and... SNAP! The job's a game!”
Have you ever had that perfect job that was always entertaining?

Being a mother -- fo' sho'!

10. “Sometimes I'm so sweet even I can't stand it.”
Has anyone ever considered you as sweet?

I don't think so.  I've been told I'm sweet, but not so sweet that it was intolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment