Wednesday, December 29, 2010

40 4 40: 12 - WW: Mark Twain

1. A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
Do you let yourself off the hook easily?

Sometimes I do, mostly I don't.  Just depends on how much PR work and damage control might need to be performed.  :P

2. A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar.
Do you think everyone lies?

Yes, I do.  Everyone.

3. A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
What was the last thing that you had to learn the hard way?

I live my entire life learning the hard way....ask my mom & my husband!


4. A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
What types of things do you read?

Biographies, autobiographies, true crime, Patricia Cornwell novels (Kay Scarpetta), some religious things.  I have a couple of daily spiritual readings I peek at, and I like to read magazines such as Parenting, Psychology Today and some of the house/travel genre.

I'd like to read more often, but my attention span is so short and when I settle in to read, I fall asleep pretty quickly.  It took me over a year to read Eat, Pray, Love.

5. A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds.
Have you ever thought about something that did not exist and later it was invented?

No, I haven't, BUT I *do* have a couple ideas right now.  Anyone want to be the business side of this creative mind?

6. Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often.
How well do you think that you observe people?

I vacillate between being overly observant to oblivious.

7. Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Have you ever used humor to diffuse a difficult situation?

Absolutely, and there's a fine line between being disrespectful and adding levity. 

8. Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
How important is your age to you? Do you ever lie about it or refuse to reveal it?

Age is important to me, but I agree that the boundaries of age are starting to stretch.  In the past, a person who is forty, fifty, sixty years is considered older, but there's a LOT of youth in these ages ranges anymore. 

I am about to turn 40 (30 days or so, but who is counting?), and it's one of those milestone ages where people expect that I'm dreading it.  Truly, I'm not dreading it at all -- in fact, I'm rather looking forward to it.

I feel old when I hear about my friends from high school who have kids who are in college, or are grandparents already.

9. All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure.
How important do you think confidence is? Are you confident?

Confidence & lack of it is *extremely* important in all things.  Again, there's a fine line to walk -- the line of being cocky vs. confident.  

People tell me they feel confidence from me, and I suppose, for the most part I am.  There are, of course, arenas in which I lack it.  I find where I lack confidence are the areas that also lack discipline, commitment, obedience.  Enter in:  learning the hard way and letting myself off the hook.  :)

10. Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
Do you do everything you should to be healthy?

Absolutely not!  I am evolving, though, so wish me luck!  (I let myself off the hook too much in the health department!)

No comments:

Post a Comment