Friday, July 02, 2010

Salt

"You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt lose its savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is good for nothing any more but to be cast out, and to be trodden on by men."  ~Matthew 5:13

+++++++++

Properties & usages of salt:  bonding, cohesion, flavorings, preservation, cleansing....

In olden times, salt was valued, therefore bartered or used as payment.  I learned that the word "salary" comes from that practice.  
I also learned that exchanging grains of salt from one's pouch with another's sealed a covenant. with one another.  The only way the covenant could be broken is if each tiny grain of salt was removed from the pouch in which it was placed.  (Yeah -- like that's possible!)
++++++++

This last week, I've had a crazycraving for salty things:  sodas, cashews, peanuts, popcorn, bacon, the whole nine yards.....  And I've partaken in it, too!  This has caused incredible thirst on my part, as you can imagine.  So yeah, I've been downing water something fierce.

Thursday night rolls around, and I attend a meeting at church.  I am among sisters, ladies with whom I share a special bond.  These are new friends to me.  We've all participated in a special spiritual retreat.  I was blessed to be invited to be on the team for the next go-round.  Without divulging too much of what I experienced on Thursday, I just had to document how awesome it was to find out WHY I was having such intense cravings for salt over the course of the last few days leading up to Thursday's kick-off meeting.  

My thirst for God's word....

Being salt is....
.....being bonded.
.....being cleansed.
.....being healed.
.....being preserved.
.....being flavored.

I like that I am called in such a special way.  I'm humbled by it.  I pray to do it justice.

Email me if you're interested in attending the September retreat.  

~Whoosh

1 comment:

  1. i really love the Book of Matthew. i can't remember the exact verse but i know this one from Matthew.; "love the Lord your God with all you heart, with all your mind, with all your soul, with all your strength."

    ReplyDelete