Saturday, March 13, 2010

Nose Deep In It

My Eldest is nine (and a HALF!).  She is an avid reader.  In fact, she will gladly inform you of her excellent reading skills.  (A lesson in humility is being learned, but such a fine line to draw while still nurturing self-confidence, no?)

For the first five years of her life, My Husband, My Eldest and I resided in a small apartment, upstairs in a very small complex in a rather rough part of town.  There were no kids, as most of the community were elderly folks or folks who were post-children-living-at-home.  As a result, My Eldest didn't get much opportunity go outside and play.

Then, after My Little One was born, we rented a home for a year before purchasing our current house.  The neighborhood where we rented didn't have many children, and the ones that were there had stay at home moms with younger children.  Again, borderline rough neighborhood.

We now reside in a lovely area where LOTS of kids are nearby.  My Eldest goes to school and church with many of the children in the surrounding blocks.  Still, to this day, she struggles with the notion of going outside to play.

The other day, I explained to both My Children that while the days are starting to lengthen and the weather is improving, they cannot stay in the house watching TV, reading, playing Wii or any some-such.  Newp.  They are to go OUTSIDE!  And PLAY!  Even WITH EACH OTHER!  My Little One POUNCED at the chance.  My Eldest...meh...notsomuch:

Next step:  remove book.

(Side note:  Even though I was frustrated slightly that she went outside and still read despite the conversation we had just finished, I thought this was absolutely adorable!  This picture very much so captures the essence of My Sweet Eldest.  I will never punish her for reading books....  )

It should be noted, too, that My Eldest has some friends who are twins.  They're very athletic and come to our house often.  Because of them, My Eldest spends a lot more time outside -- NOT reading.  She even learned to ride her bike this Spring WITHOUT training wheels!

Love you, SweetSweet.  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment