Sunday, February 14, 2010

So It's Valentine's Day ...

....or some such silliness.

It's so divisive this "holiday".

It's a holiday made up by greeting card companies.


It's pagan in nature.


It's made to guilt me into telling my lover/spouse/significant other how much I love him/her -- as if he/she doesn't ALREADY know this every OTHER day of the year!

+

I don't expect anything from My Husband for Valentine's Day.  If he chooses to get something for me, I'm not going to turn it away, but I never expect anything.  I guess that's because I don't totally subscribe to the notion that Valentine's Day is strictly for luvahs.

Back when I was in my teens and twenties, I seem to recall that the emphasis was primarily between me and whomever I might be dating.  I would get chocolates, stuffed animals, roses, the usual fare.  I was flattered but it never felt like "love".

At this age, I still like to get chocolates and flowers, but not because Cupid is poking around on February 14th. I'd like to get them for un-Valentine's Day. Also, the toys I'd like to get have an ENTIRELY different context! *wink*

More than anything, on Valentine's Day, I like to get words and affection. I like the laughter of My Girls, the time playing games. I love a good poem, holding hands, and maybe the extra effort of taking me to lunch when ordinarily it wouldn't happen.

No cards.
No candy.
No little teddy bears.

Just love me in a special Jackie way.


No comments:

Post a Comment