Tuesday, February 02, 2010

A Little Something On Which To Hold

Everyone needs it.  Everyone needs something to embrace, to cuddle, to latch on to -- right? It's not the same for everyone.  Individually, throughout life, what we hold on to changes.  As a baby, we are held, but we still hold onto strands of hair, clutching onto mommy's collar or daddy's finger, a bottle, pacifier.  As a child, maybe we needed our teddy bear or a security blanket.  As adults, we cling to one another, spooning; or, if you're like me, I wrap my body around a pillow.  My Husband calls it 'building your nest'.  I have four pillows that I arrange in a certain way and that arrangement allows me to sleep well.

My Daughters are no exception.

Since My Eldest was a littlelittle baby, she's played with locks of hair.  It started out as my hair.  One of my very favorite things in the world is when someone plays with my hair.  I find it so relaxing, so intimate.  It is very special to me.  As My Eldest has grown, so has her hair, which means so has her need.  She's gone through sleeping with stuffed animals, and occasionally still does.  But one thing for sure is that she's ALWAYS played with hair when going to sleep.  She now will run her sweet fingers through her soft brown hair.  Last night, I captured her....


Sometimes it makes me sad.  Sometimes, I wish she would still play with MY hair like that.  I miss that closeness to her, even though there are new ways we are close.  I treasure that she still practices the hair dance as she is falling asleep to the soundtrack to High School Musical or the Jonas Brothers. 

After I took her picture, I went to kiss My Little One good night.  (I got home too late to tuck them in bed, so needed to go kiss them goodnight properly.)  Sure enough, My Little One was clutching something, too.  No, not her hair (although she's kind of started playing with her own hair).  She has been fluttering about the house in her different dance outfits.  She loves to primp and dress up, putting on make up, then performing for us. 

I have some red and silver bangles.  She took them to bed with her....



I love my daughters.
I love their needs.
I love that I am their mom.

Off to bed....to clutch my pillows.  :)  Nite-Nite.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you notice the little things of life and not just in your daughters but in everyone. (see old post on MS for my birthday). I love you! Your Eldest and Little One are lucky to call you Mama.

    ReplyDelete