Wednesday, October 14, 2009

U2/Muse Concert Experience

Different.

Concerts are so different these days.  All of the sensory stimulation. Light shows, flashing lights, sounds and more sounds, beyond the music.



U2 has this 360 Tour. It's in support of No Line on the Horizon, complete with an elaborate round stage in which the guys can be see from any side, so as to not discriminate any part of the audience. It looks like some sort of futuristic, robotic crustacean sent to infuse concert-goers with the greatness of U2. And that's just for the lighting effects! 


Muse is who I really went to see. I absolutely love this band and their music! Supermassive Black Hole hooked me and I haven't been the same since. Behind us sat a woman and her teenage son. They each had come to see Muse more than U2. It was a win-win because the mother also loved U2 and was able to share the experience and introduce her son to the legend of U2.



This concert was held at Jerryworld (a.k.a. The Death Star, a.k.a. Dallas Cowboys Stayjium), which wasn't exactly the most ideal venue for the stage set-up. Unbelievably, the giant jumbotron can't be lifted or or some how moved to accommodate a tall stage such as U2's. Furthermore, the sound of the concert was mediocre where I was sitting in the second tier. It's U2, so they always sound amazing, but I imagine the further up one sat, the worse the sound. Wonder how it sounded on the floor?

I walked out of there with the intention of getting U2's CD. "Sexy Boots" was new to me and I felt quite sassy listening to it. Why wouldn't I want that as a part of my regular listening line-up??


U2 is legendary. I saw them in 1993 in El Paso, Texas, during their Zoo TV tour, and will see them as often as I can. Bono is so brilliant. He has politics but is so diplomatic with how to express them. I respect that about him. They didn't disappoint then, and they most certainly didn't disappoint this time! Since it's been so long between seeing them, I have a newer appreciation of their depth & overall care for humanity.

Go see them if you can -- both bands!


No comments:

Post a Comment