Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hollywood Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet!

My Eldest turned nine recently, as you know.  Over the weekend, she celebrated by having some of her friends over to our house for a slumber party.  Even though the turn out was lower than expected, she had a fabulous time.  And she looked glamorous to say the least!  (Ahem.)


With "Hurray for Hollywood" and "That's Entertainment" playing in the background, a couple of girls were adorned with colorful feather boas as they arrived and took their walk along the Texas version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  (I made salmon colored, golden glittery stars with each girls name on it and placed them on our sidewalk.)  The girls were encouraged to arrive as if they were attending an award show or movie premier.  My Eldest was dressed up, too.  I allowed her to wear "adult" makeup, and did her face and hair for her -- tried to pamper her like a "real" star. 

Entering the house, they walked through silver and black balloons and received a "goodie bag" which was a purse that was filled with fake money, a movie ticket, a lip gloss, a couple of stickers of characters from High School Musical and a hair accessory.  We ordered pizza, then dove into an ice cream sundae bar, but not before the traditional singing of "Happy Birthday", complete with trick candles (what a hoot!).  The cake is THE BEST cake I've EVER had.  The cakery that prepared it has been making our cakes since my wedding day.  It was a strawberry cake in the design of a star with My Eldest's name on it, modeled after the ones on the real Hollywood Walk of Fame. 

The girls had to use their "money" to pay for their ice cream sundae, as well as popcorn for the movie.  My Little One collected tickets to "Wallace & Gromit:  The Curse of the Were-Rabbit".  I had lofty notions of hanging a curtain around the tele so that it looked like a real movie theater. 

Feathers were everywhere this morning, as was confetti. Despite my best efforts to fend off gluten, I ate cake for breakfast.  Gawd that's the best damn cake ever as in EVERRRR!  There were gold and silver paper cups with sad looking paper umbrellas covering the openings.  Sleeping bags were strewn about the living room, yet giddy laughter of sweet girls carried down the hallway to awaken me.

I prepared french toast, eggs and fresh fruit for breakfast then hurried the girls along as their moms were arriving to take the little starlets home. 

It was a great time.  Wonder what's in store for next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment