Monday, July 13, 2009

Painted Lady Butterflies - An Exploration of Science

I love the word metamorphosis. I love even better the meaning of the word. It has many layers both literal and figurative.

My kids love butterflies. Since we speak Spanglish in my house, it's not uncommon for us to say "mariposa". Something about "mariposa" that rolls more melodically off the tongue than "butterflies", which is filled with such hard consonants.

A gift that My Eldest received for her post-surgery recovery was a Butterfly Habitat. I've always been jealous of her because each year of school so far, her teachers have had this in the classroom. Each year, My Eldest raves about how cool it is to watch, and she would give me daily updates.

Now, it's our turn to have one in OUR house! I might be more excited about it that My Eldest is! Shhhh.

So, with that being said, I thought you might like to follow along with us as the caterpillars pig out, wrap up, and eventually blossom.

Day 1, July 10th



This morning, Day 4

The silk is webbing the inside of the container. It's hard to tell by this picture, but they're eating and pooping a lot (the sand-like specks are poo)! They are also longer, fatter and fuzzier!

I'll post pictures over the next two to three weeks as the Painted Lady butterflies develop.

(I'm going to photograph the next few at the window where Day 1's is taken. Day 4's has a screen on the window and doesn't allow for as much highlighting inside their home. )

1 comment: