Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Catching Up


































Update 1

I am on Facebook and figured out how to pull my blog from blogger into the NOTES section of facebook. Pretty cool little tool. Of course, my worlds are colliding. I have lots of work friends on Facebook, and lots and lots of people with whom I went to high school or know me from my childhood that haven't had contact with me in years and years. Now, by posting my blog more openly there, I am exposing myself to some (1) major fun being poked at me; (2) major gossip going on or (3) my wonderwoman-ness will be revealed to be notsowonderwomanish and all will see that I am truly HUMAN! *wink*

I guess it's not such a bad thing. IyamwhoIyamandthat'sallthatIyam. Right?

Update 2

Pop moved from our house into a nursing home shortly before Thanksgiving. Since that time, his world and our world has changed significantly (not this is NOT a shameless campaign slogan left over from Obama). Pop seems much happier where he is. There was a snafu with Medicaid (which is a constant FUBAR entity) where he wasn't qualified for physical therapy until just last week. When my family went to visit him over the weekend last, he reported that he'd received some therapy and feels stronger. It's not as intensive or as often as he was getting here at my house, but it's better than him laying there getting bedsores and existing, right?

Also, the stress in my house has dimished significantly. My husband is breathing with ease again and his whole personality has changed. It's amazing the difference in him. I truly don't think he realizes how different he is now -- and it's for the better. Of course, so am I. I was getting pretty resentful and reactive, but trying to just turn it over to God.

My mother in law is also more relaxed. She's been enjoying going to my sister in law's house on the weekends. The kids there love having her stay over and I know that she enjoys them too. Of course, this allows my four in my clan to be the Four of Us. Occasionally, there is even just Two of Us when my husband's older sister offers to keep the girls overnight. Amazingly, my husband and I have not argued or squelched our one-on-one time together!

Update 3

I attended my 20 year high school reunion. My husband, kids and I road tripped it to far west Texas. Along the way we saw all kinds of scenery.
Alternative Energy: Wind Turbines

There are acres and acres of these in West Texas. They are seen high above the aging pump jacks that I've come to notice more and more since I work for a private oil and gas production company. Notice King Cotton as well -- Texas's #1 commodity.

West Texas Skies
There's just nothing like them. You should see the sunsets. And the stars! Oh my stars!






The kids were pretty snippy by the time we checked into the hotel room. They'd been awakened that morning by their parents shaking their little bodies: Santa's been here! Santa came!!

They leapt out of their beds and we did Christmas morning festivities, packed up the car, fought a bit, nearly didn't go, then headed out using the Garmin that my husband bought himself for Christmas.

By the time we all settled into our hotel room, we were starving but spent some time that evening with my Godmother and her entire family, then it was bedtime. The girls slept together in the same bed (this is the first time my family has ever road tripped and spent our time in a hotel all together). I heard incessant complaints and whining by them about how "sister was touching me!" or "she won't leave me alone!" or "she isn't being still" and "I can't sleep!" and "make her stop!"

This is how they fell asleep that night (que linda!). The doll is two dolls in one. Flip her skirt the other way and she's wearing a different dress.  My Godparents gave it to Boa; it comes from Puerto Rico.




So we went on a "this is where mommy went to high school" tour and it was a love day, but the hallmark wind of El Paso whirled 'round us. We ate at the best pizza place in the world, House of Pizza. After that, I took the family to Scenic Drive, where I knew the girls in particular would be very interested (my husband had already been on a previous trip). The girls were enamoured by "climing" the mountain and seeing the whole city.



The reunion all in all was good fun. Admittedly, I'm a little disappointed with the turnout.  The event combined the classes of 1988 and 1989, and the holiday time was selected specifically because the committe figured alumni would be available to attend.  Most folks have stayed in the El Paso area, but knowing many have moved and would likely "go home" for Christmas, the committe had hoped for higher attendance. 

One day was a family day, which we didn't attend.  We opted for resting and visiting with My Godparents and other friends that weren't high school-ish.

I was embarrassed about my weight, as usual, but especially so because at my 10 year reunion, I had recently lost a LOT of weight, was newly single and felt very good about myself.  I still had a good time, caught up with old friends, talked to classmates I hadn't had even one conversation with back in the '80s.  I am impressed with what all my classmates have accomplished!  But, at the core, and the most important part of all this visit was RELATIONSHIPS. It felt good to back home, see and meet people, share my childhoodworld with my children. I miss El Paso a lot, and definitely, my heart strings are tugged when I visit, but I'll only always just visit.

One more week till my birthday! :P

































No comments:

Post a Comment