Monday, September 08, 2008

Theme O' The Weekend: VICTORY

I am having a *great* weekend!! Victory is indeed mine this weekend....


It's opening season for NFL football. My Cowboys spanked the Brownies (awww KB Canada *pet*pet*) today and my fantasy football team won by a commanding 60+ points.



Also, last night, I went on the funnest date in a long time!! Dallas, like most metropolitan cities, has some very unique places to go. I don't know many of them. haha. Anyway, there's a very groovy place in downtown Dallas called Victory Park, and that's where I watched the UT Longhorns v. UT El Paso Miners play football on Saturday night.

I knew there was a very good chance that this date would NOT happen. My husband is usually in bed and asleep between 9-10 p.m. He *hates* going downtown. He does NOT like crowds whatsoever. If there's any kind of traffic or parking issues, he's gripey to the point where the whole night can be ruined. However, miracle of miracles happened and he was on board with going! (We're in that 'trying' phase of the marriage...and this was his effort. Thanks, love!)

Now, when I left to go on this date, it was about 8:30 p.m. The kids were just about ready for bed and we grabbed our lawn chairs, a couple of waters and headed out the door. Grandma put the kiddos to sleep (yay for grandmas!). We were yawning in the car, and frankly, I was wondering if even *I* would last the night.

As we neared downtown, I perked up.

As we searched for the right parking lot, we saw lights that I can only liken to Time's Square (even thought I've never been there...hush!). I became electrified when I saw those flashy, glittery lights.

As we walked closer and closer to the giant TV screen and plaza area, I was completely jazzed and could not be smiling any bigger.

I don't know what it is about downtown Dallas at night, but I have a love affair with him. I absolutely love it here. The skyline and architecture just astound me. And being in the pulse of the city definitely brought my barely-breathing heart some life!


Officially called AT&T Plaza, this is a plaza where one can view games, movies, concerts on a 1500 foot HD TV that hangs from the entrance over the American Airlines Center (where the Dallas Stars and Dallas Mavericks play). It's flanked by TWO MORE *moving* screens, one is dedicated solely to digital art. Here's a visual:



Pretty cool lookin', right?

Well, you should see this place at night! (Hey! Wait! You can! See below.) Anyway, colorful lights, bars and restaurants pumping, people strolling. This particular night, I went to watch the UT/UTEP game (Longhorns won!). The weather was perfect. 'Twas a setting of worlds colliding (sports bar/being at the actual game). The crowd wasn't as crazy as being at the football game and it was not as crowded as I expected it to be; and it was a lot like being at a sports bar outside -- on a much larger scale. When touchdowns are scored or penalties are called, there's still that uproar of voices objecting or rooting.


A sea of burnt orange with the occasional splash of UTEP blue was the scene. The sounds of the city were drowned by the sounds of the game. About the second quarter, we hear the thumping of drums in the distance. It grows louder and nearer. We start to hear the cling-clang of tamborines. Then we hear voices of men singing. Turns out the Hare Krishnas were recruiting that night. A whole gaggle of them paraded around the plaza, trying to propogate their faith. The security guards walkie-talkied and the fans watching football stole glances and made fun of the marching, but overall, they weren't disruptive enough to violate any laws or offend anyone. There was almost a collective yawn after the initial curiosity was answered with the "Hare Krishna" signs. I chalked it up to half time entertainment -- just a lil early.


I was so excited about this venue and my date that I immediately came home to search the 'net and subscribe to e-mails of future events there. Turns out I missed all the summer movies. Boo! BUT...there will be more fun things to do.


And I will go.

Victory is MINE. Muahahahahahahahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment