Friday, September 12, 2008

Innocence Is Not Lost

Tonight, My Eldest and her Brownies troop participated in a recuitment night at her former school. (I've kept her in that troop, even though she's at a new school.)

My Eldest was given a speaking part of sorts. The girls do a flag ceremony, where the U.S. flag is brought in by the troop and ultimately saluted. Then, the people in attendance recite the Pledge of Allegiance in unison with the troop. My Eldest was given the task of directing her troop to stand at attention, directing them to march the flag to the front of the room, posting the colors and prompting the salute. She was most proud of being assigned this task, and make me proud after watching her do it.

While standing at the back row of the cafeteria, watching the girls and pledging my allegiance to America, I gulped down a few tears. I realized that despite the horror of September Eleveth, and all the panic that it caused initially, here are these beautiful you girls who are so innocent and pure. Here we are, collectively in a room, peoples of all walks of life, races with various storied backgrounds, saying how much we love this country. And no terrorist, foreign or domestic, will take that away from us. No evil will usurp the innocence of the moment I witness and shared tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment