Saturday, July 12, 2008

CyberPraying

Working on my high school reunion has brought back me in touch with people who (whom? grrr....I think it's 'whom') I have often thought about. M is one of those folks.

M contacted me last year before I even was thinking of the reunion. He reached out through classmates.com and sent me a 'hello'.

M is a cool cat. I remember him being in the fraternity that was tight with my sorority (yes, in high school!). He played on the tennis team. He had a contagious smile. Still does.

M recently go on MySpace and sought me as a friend. Through the mystical powers of the Internets, he messaged me and asked if I had ever done any article writing before.

After I cleaned up the soda that fizzed and burned through my nostrils and came out onto my desk as a result of me laughing so hard, I quickly responded, "um. no." (Me? A *real* .. like ...*published* writer! Surely you jest! I am only keeping a journal but this could be my road to a Pulitzer, right? Right?! RIGHT?!)

*cough*cough*

Reality check.

Check.

So get this - he is starting up a magazine in El Paso. It's called Cultura Cafe (C2) and it's a mentoring publication for ages 16-24. He said he read that I like to write (yet hadn't read any of my writing...lol) and wondered if I would contribute to his magazine. (Once the website gets up and running I'll post the link.)

Hell to the YEAH!

I was pretty stoked and wowed (ergo Matt and Camila about Levi) and well, I'm going to do it. Fun, huh?

Enough about me...the point of this blog is about cyberpraying.

I've never cyberprayed before. I'm not even sure that 'cyberpraying' is the correct terminology. I do know that there's a difference between 'praying' and 'preying'...both having starkly different connotations, no? Ha! Anywhoo....M and I were catching up on Yahoo IM earlier tonight and of course, we shared about our families. I explained to him the turmoil my family has endured over the last year and he out of the blue, unabashedly typed: let's pray about it, shall we? how 'bout it?

I kind of smiled, taken aback, but flattered nonetheless. And the timing was impeccable. His prayer was about five minutes after my previous post about Cutting to the Chase. Amazing how God answers....what a gift!

M offered up an eloquent and thoughtful prayer request. I truly feel more peace right now. I'm ever thankful for the blessings. I thought I'd share the gramatically edited prayer with you. Feel free to pray for me and my family using this prayer, or offer one of your own. We need all the help we can get. And yes, I reciprocate. :)

M: Father, in the name of Jesus, I boldly come to your throne of grace, asking for mercy and grace in my time of need. Father, I ask for my dear friend Jackie who has danced graciously back into our lives for such a time as this. I pray for her strength in her marriage, that the love she has for her husband be rekindled, and that they bond stronger than ever before. I pray that the Angel of the Lord encamps around her home and that no harm shall befall them. I pray that you make yourself real to her and her family like never before. I pray that you make yourself strong in her weakness; that she has peace in every area of her life, that she has wisdom to run her household as you have gifted her with strength, wisdom, understanding and vision for her family & that you father God have raised her up to high places; that she is the apple of your eye and that you never sleep keeping a watchful eye over her and her family; that you think good thoughts about her, to give her a hope and a future, not of evil but of abundant life. Your word says that the devil came to kill, steal and to destroy but Jesus came to give us life and life more abundantly. Your word says to ask and it shall be given, so we are asking in Jesus name that you give her peace, and joy
Jax: amen
Jax: thank you
M: that you free her from depression because your word says that you have not given us a spirit of fear but of POWER and of LOVE and a sound mind
Jax: (oops! sorry)
M: in Jesus Name
M: now you can say amen
Jax: Amen...

(I have to laugh about the end....hahahahaha. There was this super long pause in his writing so I thought he was done. Whoops!)

M ~ if you read this, know that I love you and that you've moved me today. Thank you for the gift of your friendship and for having a strong spirit.

Oh yeah. And he says I wear my brown stripes well. Even though I'm gringa, I earned 'em. So, I wear them proudly. Orale.

Hasta luego.

2 comments:

  1. M is a fabulous prayer warrior! He's got some religion in him :) I was truly moved by his prayer and might steal it! It's okay to steal prayers, right? Sounds kind of wrong when you type it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Erin, you may 'steal' it! One reason I posted it was so others could draw from it and personalize it, tailor it to themselves or use it to pray for me or someone else.

    I love how you used the phrase "prayer WARRIOR". M will like that! lol

    ReplyDelete